Author Topic: String slap - Self bow  (Read 2372 times)

Offline JesseBeaux

String slap - Self bow
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:28:48 pm »
Hey guys,

Finished up my first self bow which is a 66" 45# Osage and I love it! I determined my brace height by fistmele (6") and I can play with it some to tune the bow. However, no matter what, im getting some string slap. Never had a bow with this low of brace height and I've never dealt with string slap so any suggestions? Or is that just part of the self bow world?

Offline High-Desert

Re: String slap - Self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
Are you using B50? Every bow I made slapped my wrist until I switched to fastflight. I don't even wear a wrist guard anymore.
Eric

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:39:43 am »
Yes using b 50. Don't have tip overlays so can't do fast flight.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:04 am »
How do You grip the Bow Jesse ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:25:08 am »
6" is low, bump it up another 1/2".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:48:38 am »
Raising brace might help as would fast flight but more than likely it is the way you are gripping the bow, work on your grip a bit will probably help. Is the string lined up with the center of the handle ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 07:16:56 am »
Bend your bow arm elbow a little. I only use B-50 and don't get string slap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:03 am »
I’d say you’re probably holding it like a modern glass bow. Full hand wrapped around it. With a bent stick ya gotta make a Juddo chop hand, cock the thumb out at a 90 degree so you got a loser sign going. Then act like your sliding your hand through a rock and have the bow meet the corner in your L. Hand should look like it’s about to chop the bow in half. Wrap your thumb and index finger around the bow dropping your hand to a 45 degree coming out from your index down to your pinky.

Actually, a picture will be worth a thousand words. Just so happens my boss left a bow in the office- perfect.

The bow is lefty and odd to take a picture with but you can get the idea. If done right the bow will center itself in that meaty web between the index and thumb and you won’t impart twist on the bow drawing or shooting. The fingers just get loosely draped around with mostly your thumb and index doing any holding. I like it this way because when I cant the bow my fist is horizontal and it’s a natural feeling for me. I use that hold on all my selfbows and glass bows. Some still slap me but that’s when I pluck the string or the bow is just out of string alignment. So I always wear an arm guard but 98% of the time don’t need it.

A quick bit on plucking, draw to your anchor and when you release keep pulling your hand back and hold it on your ear. It’ll make you release the arrow the same way every time without pulling it up over down etc. Jeff Kavanagh on YouTube will teach ya a thing or 2 on his channel. Cause plucking will not only ruin your accuracy but also cause string slap.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:55:53 pm »
I use ff on selfbow's all the time, I just throw a few extra strands in the loops and if it's Osage I don't even do that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:12 pm »
I've used FF without tip overlays without a problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:53:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm still playing with the BH some but adjusting my grip like the above pictures helped tremendously.