Author Topic: Sugar Maple?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Ben.Kellerman

Sugar Maple?
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:58:31 pm »
Just cut down a 7ish foot chunk of what I believe/hope is sugar maple?  Now what?  I put a coat of spray lacquer on the ends already?  I'm pretty impatient.  Best ways to speed dry?

Offline PatM

Re: Sugar Maple?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:02:01 pm »
Split and de-bark.  You can get Maple done in  a hurry.

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08:11 pm »
Thanks Pat!  I've never split a tree this size.  Just logs for the camp fire.  Any suggestions for a newbie?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:12:44 pm »
Don't try to split that pole, odds are the split will run out and ruin it. Make one bow from it. Rough a bow out at least 20% over sized and let it sit in 50% humidity, or less, for about 6 months. Then finish it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:18:17 pm »
If you want to split it I would recommend not to split it from one end, risk is you will end up with no stave at all. Split it with several axes or wedges along the side even though maple splits pretty easy. Just to be safe!
Stoneagebows

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:47:43 pm »
Thanks folks. Aksel, when you make a sapling bow, how do you split those in half?  Wondering because I also cut a small maybe 2in cherry sapling.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:04 pm »
No not if the trunk is under 4 inches usually and I want a deep handle
Stoneagebows

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:15:46 pm »
Maple does  tend to split very cleanly.  I would start splitting and monitor how it starts and then make a decision to stop and just hatchet away the worst side if it looks like it's headed the wrong way.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 04:15:34 pm »
When I do saplings I saw in at an angle to just shy of the center where the fades will be and then split from there out. Just use a large chisel in the saw kerf to get started.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
Don't try to split that pole, odds are the split will run out and ruin it. Make one bow from it. Rough a bow out at least 20% over sized and let it sit in 50% humidity, or less, for about 6 months. Then finish it.

Exactly. Runnher through the bandsaw
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 07:43:01 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  This community is unbelievable.  I roughed out one of the maple staves and I'm actually quite pleased with how it came out( I'll post some pics after i edit to resize).  The cherry stave has me sweating though.  I know I've seen a lot of "curvy" bows on here so I know its possible but this thing definitely has some character to it.  I've been sitting here staring at it waiting for it to tell me which side wants to be the back.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 11:35:52 pm »
Ben,
Grab another beverage, blow a wee bit of smoke, ( kinnikinnick, of course) at it, and it'll tell you >:D >:D :BB!  Don't know for sure, but look at the curves and the knots.  I think the side with the least knots and the curves to meet your idea should work.  On the other hand, you're way ahead of me!
Hawkdancer.   
Keep smiling, they'll wonder what the heck you're up to!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 11:36:35 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  This community is unbelievable.  I roughed out one of the maple staves and I'm actually quite pleased with how it came out( I'll post some pics after i edit to resize).  The cherry stave has me sweating though.  I know I've seen a lot of "curvy" bows on here so I know its possible but this thing definitely has some character to it.  I've been sitting here staring at it waiting for it to tell me which side wants to be the back.
You’re gonna wanna back that cherry
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 08:02:52 am »
Here is the maple roughed out.  Anyway to speed drying from here?

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47:52 am »
Just let it sit in a cool spot for about 10 days and then move it to a warmer area.