Author Topic: Sugar Maple?  (Read 3395 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: Sugar Maple?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 11:18:27 am »
I've heard of putting it in a black abs plumbing pipe and put it in the sun with both ends open for air movement.i  do agree with Pat to allow the piece stabilize somewhere cool for a while or it will likely plit,
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 02:50:02 pm »
I've heard of putting it in a black abs plumbing pipe and put it in the sun with both ends open for air movement.i  do agree with Pat to allow the piece stabilize somewhere cool for a while or it will likely plit,

I’d also clamp it down to keep the twisties away and you can also introduce a we bit of reflex.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 10:19:46 pm »
"when you make a sapling bow, how do you split those in half?"

I might split a 4" log, but not a 2", and I wouldn't try that one with all the big knots on one side.  What I do on a log like that is run a kerf down each side with the tip of a chainsaw, just an inch or less deep, then drive a wedge into the middle of the log.  With knots like that, I'd cut it most of the way through.

The other good method is to saw into the side you don't want, maybe halfway through a 4" log, or whatever, every few inches.  More around the rough spots.  Leave yourself plenty of wood to make a bow with.  Then come along and knock the blocks between the cuts off with a hatchet, machete, or big chisel.