Author Topic: question on these primitive jagger shafts  (Read 2364 times)

Offline timmyd

question on these primitive jagger shafts
« on: April 01, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »
went behind my in laws place yesterday and cut some of these red briar shafts. has anyone ever used these before and are they decent material for arrows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question on these primitive jagger shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:56 pm »
Never heard of red brier. Is it one of the bramble fruits like raspberry or black berry. If so the canes are pithy. They should make a good arrow but they won't be very durable.  Where do you  live?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline timmyd

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:52:48 pm »
im in Western PA. I don't know what the name of them are. we have basically two types of wild brier bushes that grow in abundance in these parts. One is green and one is a dark red. these are the dark red ones and have little thorns all over them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:19:53 pm »
Do they have a thick, pithy center?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline timmyd

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:40 am »
yeah they do...I'm thinking not really good?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 05:25:23 pm »
Like I said, they will make arrows, just not very durable. Sinew wrap at the nock and point will strengthen them up.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:37:23 am »
The green one is Multiflora rose and a great arrow wood. Its different in that you need to straighten it mostly while green and drying. I have not had another arrow wood like it. Gather them and strip the thorns and bark right away and straighten. As they start to dry over days you will notice they start to stay straight. Shafts that are pure green can be too small sometimes. you'll have to size guess and they shrink in diameter and the pith core gets smaller as it grows larger. I have noticed it will split with the grain and ruin on too heavy of a bend on heat straightening. so better to get it close in green straightening.

The red briars are likely raspberry or black raspberry and going to waste a lot of your time and break easily.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."