Author Topic: Thoughts on .62 smooth bores?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Parnell

Thoughts on .62 smooth bores?
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
I've been researching options for doing a build.  Northwest Trade Guns, Fusil De Chasse, English Fowling Guns...

Are there other options for this "class" of flintlock?  If you were to argue for one type over another what would you say?

I'm aware that the Fusils have that more dropped stock design that does make me wonder about alignment and shooting.  Opinions?

The blocky stock of the NTG appears as though it would be just that...blocky.  Currently, I'm leaning toward the idea of finding a Fowling Gun project.

What would you consider building?  Why?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:00:24 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Thoughts on .62 smooth bores?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:42 am »
Tennessee Valley Manufacturing makes a great "Poor Boy Fowler" in .62, they also give you a choice in 42 or 36" barrel length.  Check them out, Jack Garner is a great guy to work with and he is honest in his dealings!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:16:37 pm »
And Jackie Brown. I've been on the Net down here for two weeks looking at kits and finished/used guns.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:10 pm »
Jackie Brown is someone at TVM, Eddie?
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:37:15 am »
Jack Brown has very mixed reviews, I have never seen any of his guns but have read a lot of feedback on his work. Some are very pleased with his guns, some get stuck with craftsmanship flaws and have not been able to get resolution when they have a problem.

His prices are hard to beat, especially for an in the white gun.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:00 am »
I have limited experience as I have only shot a trade gun and English fowler. The key is to build a gun that is custom fitted to your measurements, properly fitted it will be a joy to shoot.

I lean toward the sleek lines of an English fowler, but then again, I have only made one. Mine is a 12 but the same design is well suited to a 20.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 04:42:19 pm »
I absolutely love a 62 rifled barrel, the one that I made last year is most likely my favorite rifle. I'm working on a 62 smooth rifle right now and will see how it turns out. I'm making it in the Kentucky Fowler style with front and rear sights. I don't care about being allowed in a smooth bore match I'm worried about accuracy.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 12:14:14 pm »
I have a 62 fowler with a 36" barrel. I've shot a turkey using shot and a doe with a roundball. They are light and easy to carry as well as versatile in the woods. Surprisingly accurate using a roundball with the right load and some practice.