Author Topic: A change in perspective  (Read 1844 times)

Offline sleek

A change in perspective
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »
Long drives allow time for wandering thoughts, and deep contemplation.

So i was driving some back country highway with a sky so dark even the stars wouldnt shine, listening to the sound of a newly aquired exhaust leak on my manifold, considering my lot in life, why it was such, and comparing it to other peoples, and wondering why the difference. Like I said, with a thousand miles, and not much to do...

With my wife and son broke down a thousand miles from me, 450 miles from home, it has been months since I had seen her and my son, i was happy to be on the way to see them, but sent her a message telling her that she was taking that country song Meet in the middle,  a little too literal. Her reply was a lyric to the song, saying there aint no road to long. Lol, I love her.

Rotten luck just the same however. Between cost on a new pump, hotel cost and a tow, time off work. All this cost me around 2k. We were so close to having a little savings finally... Those who know me know I litterally live in my truck and see little of my family when I work, and work can be hard to get, leaving us wondering how long the money will last. I made the comment to my wife the other day, we owe money on a truck I can live in, and own a house we cant ( it needs renovating, we bought it cheap ).  We lept at the oportunity because we had been homless a few times.

Now at this point you may think im belly aching. Im not now, but i was. Like I said, long road and exhaust fumes in the cab. So, while I was cursing the pot holes, hoping my worn out front suspension holds up, I was wondering what else on my truck may drop off after tossing a drive shaft a few weeks back.

I was thinking back on all the time gone, troubles I had, what my family has been through with me, because of me,  and the problems we have solved, troubles we survived,  and how despjte everything, we are still together, and that I am lucky. I learned the moral of my life story that night.

People look for blessings. They see a big house, a nice car, vacations, and say, wow. So blessed. I am blessed, with none of those things. I was given the ability to handle these situations. I was given the talent of a mechanic. I was given the ability to be content to live in my truck. I was blessed with a family who can handle me being gone, doing what I need to do to provide. I was not blessed with an easy life, I was blessed with the ability to survive a hard one and the ability to adapt and overcome. For this, I am very grateful. I dont imagine many could have my story. I thank the One who created me for my life, and for my family. I am very much in love with everything.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Chippintuff

Re: A change in perspective
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:57:24 pm »
I think we all have a hard time of some kind. Most people are not able to look beyond the difficulties and see the big picture with calmness.

WA

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »
Life, like poker, is not a matter of having good cards - it is playing the ones you have well.  You are playing your cards well!  Get that manifold fixed a sap!  Glad to hear you got the fuel pump fixed, they can be a real pita, as you found out!  Being able to do your own mechanical work helps a lot!  Drive safely, keep on writing songs, and keep smiling - they'll wonder what you are up to.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:00 pm »
Living with an attitude of gratitude smooths things out.  Thanks for reminding us.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »
Living with an attitude of gratitude smooths things out.  Thanks for reminding us.

Well said.

Kevin, you are indeed a unique individual. I truly believe that someone with such grit and self-understanding will ultimately succeed.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:37:10 pm »
I always said in order to sing a good country song, you have to be able
to stand on the stage with your pants down, heart on your sleeve
and have nothing to lose. >:D  I think it's like Osage Outlaws signature
"I started with nothing and have most of it left today". ;D
But yes, the spirit is in the  "keep on keeping on". :) A lot like my life. O:)
Take solace in your own and family's  strength and a little as well from
our little family here at PA. We live and learn but it don't much matter
if we have no one to share it with. Oh and one more---- If you want it
done right----Do it yourself. It builds character, like yours.
God bless and let's have a song out of it all.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »
Are you recording, or at least writing down, your music? Sometimes all it takes is for an hot upstart to find it, and you're famous and don't have to struggle with the same bills.

WA

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »
I write it all down. Maybe oneday somebody with poor taste in music will spend a lot of money on me and buy my stuff. I havent written many that are good, maybe enough for one album and a single ( i dream ). Unfortunately I can only write lyrics and and a melody. Writting actual music, thats beyond me.

When i was at the Grand Ole Opry, I did get lots of compliments on my song. Buuuut, they are paid to be polite there, so....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:28:54 am by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 03:22:47 pm »
Not to hijack my own thread but.... I really wish, i knew someone who could help me out with my songs. I need someone to bounce my stuff off of and tell me if it stinks or not.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »
Guys, I appreciate all ypur comments. Im not certain on how to respond to make conversation of it. This is a sit back and think type of thing for me, hard to do when I open my mouth.