Author Topic: Shadow line?  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Shadow line?
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:52:37 pm »
I’ve never done one. Or really seen one. Just saw it on a muzzle loader thread the other day, googled a couple pictures, tried it. Any corrections needed?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Shadow line?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:53:34 pm »
I feel the front needs correcting but not sure how. Maybe just a taper starting farther back?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Nah, looks pretty good!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:32:13 am »
What JW said. That looks good.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:45 am »
Well sweet. Now I just need my toe plate to show up and the buttstock is done. Working on the barrel channel and tang today. Tang was bent and the barrel channel was cut at a goofy angle so it points down. About a 1/16” of a drip from barrel channel to tang recess.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:56:34 am »
I don't know how they are supposed to look but it appears your cheekpiece isn't well defined. On all the guns I have built I carried the wrist into the buttstock about 3" and faded it out into a dished out and defined cheekpiece.

What type of gun are you building?

Here is an example of a similar stock to yours, a TC Hawken I completely reshaped the cheekpiece on. As you can see I stopped the forward part of the cheekpiece at the wrist.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:40 am »
OK, I looked up the pictures, it appears this is a modern gun thing. Perhaps you would see a similar cheekpiece on an English sporting rifle but not on any historically correct 18th century rifles.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:13 am »
This is a TC Hawkin too. I really like what you did to yours! Mine is almost straight and no definition. I didn’t know if I could or should remove material in the wrist. Since it’s a TC I’m not going for historical accuracy as it doesn’t seem TC did. Instead I’m going to try for something that just looks good but is ergonomic. I’m also going to checker the grip and on the forend. I found out clicking on the photobucket ransom pictures will bring me to photobucket and let me see the actual photo so I went back to previous threads and really liked your Hawken build.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »
When I embarked on the TC project I had seen an early kit put together many years ago by a spectacular builder named Fred Lehto. I could tell it was a departure from the standard kit build so I contacted him for some pictures of various aspects of the things he changed on the kit.

Fred is in his mid 80s and as nice a guy as you will ever meet. He sent me pictures of what he did to complete his build including the reshaped cheekpiece. I copied his work.

Another area of a TC that needs attention is where the stock meets the barrel. TC leaves this wood standing proud and it should slope down to meet a barrel flat. Like this;

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:17 pm »
Reshaped it. Gonna sand it a wee bit more as my eye catches a few spots that aren’t quite smooth

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:42 am »
Now that is incredible, great work!

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:27 am »
Nice work there!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Stoner

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 08:49:15 pm »
That's some fine woodworking right there. Nice movement in the grain too. John

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:24 am »
Man does that look Sharp.  :OK
Those old TC stocks sure had some good looking wood.