Author Topic: Question on two fletch arrows.  (Read 3237 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

Question on two fletch arrows.
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:51 am »
Hello everyone. I have a question for everyone who makes two fletch arrows. I have seen them tied on two ways. Some use the dull side of feather facing out and some use the vibrant side of feather facing out. In every ones opinion which is better and why? From pics i have seen with the dull side facing out they have more of a twist to them which looks like they would stabilize the arrow more in flight where as pretty side out they lay more flat? I am going by the pics i have seen though and have never tried them before. I was wondering if anyone has any pics looking down the shaft from the nock to see how the feathers look from each? Thank you for your help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on two fletch arrows.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:17 am »
Either way works. I think the feather lays better with the dull side(under side) up. I usually add 90 degs of twist to a 2 fletch.
 I'll look to see if I have any pics. Most were lost to Photobucket.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 03:04:54 pm »
ok thx Pat. do you mean the dull side out?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:48:30 pm »
It think that the feathers lay better against the shaft with the dull side out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help. I made three two fletch arrows tonight to go with a Cherokee bow i just finished. I think they came out pretty good. I used privet shoots that weighed 420grs. I used spoons for the trade points that weighed 90grs. Thank you all again for my first go at two fletch arrows. I am def. gonna make some more.

[/img]

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:53:36 pm »
more pics.

[/img]

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:45:04 am »
Nice work!  I hope the spoons weren't your lady's good silver, though >:D (f)!  Lol!  We have a lot of old spoons laying around, mine, hers, and ours - trade points would be a good use for them!  Did you heat them and just flatten them out?  Thanks
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 12:27:11 pm »
I just took a small sledge on a anvil and went cave man on them..lol. Thank you for the kind words. First time making two fletch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »
How do they fly?   If the feathers are noisy, they look big, you can cut them down a little at a time to quiet them down.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »
Hey Pat, Just came in from outside. Two of the three flew great. The one that is toasted on the end didnt fly so great. It had a a real funky spot that try as i may couldnt get it to bend out. Instead of it being round it also was kind of flat on the two sides. The other two werent really noisy but i listened to you suggestion and trimmed the fletchings down lower. I def. noticed a increase in speed. Thx again for all your help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:50:07 pm »
If you can't get a bend out put another opposite bend in the shaft to make the point and nock line up. I spin my arrows on a finger to see and feel how they spin. You can feel a small amount of wobble.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:44:20 am »
 >:D how the heck Do you tell if they are noisy if you can't hear!!  Even with the hearing aids on full blast!?  If I can hear them, they are too darned loud, or real close!  Pull the pin and throw the grenade!  And get out the knife and pistol, they're too  close!  >:D  >:D. Lol!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:29:36 am »
thats funny Hawk  ;D ;D