Author Topic: Hawkeye Spring Thaw Shoot 2018  (Read 4841 times)

Offline BrianS

Hawkeye Spring Thaw Shoot 2018
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:31:07 pm »
Hawkeye Bowmen located in Western New York will be hosting a selfbow only shoot on April 20,21 and 22 2018. More info can be found at https://hawkeyebowmen.com/  Scroll down under the more link at the top of the page.

Offline BrianS

Re: Hawkeye Spring Thaw Shoot 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:02:38 pm »
Forecast as of today.
FridayPartly sunny, with a high near 44.
Friday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 32.
SaturdayMostly sunny, with a high near 51.
Saturday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 33.
SundayPartly sunny, with a high near 54.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:07:48 am »
Schedule of events:
Friday Noon Gates Open / Course Open
Friday (6:30pm) One log fire contest. You will need your (primitive) fire starting kit, a container that will hold a cup of water and a tool to split a log. Contest will take place in the driveway near the Tom Quinn building
Saturday (9:00 to 10:00am) Hawk and Knife throw
Saturday (10:00am until 11:00am) Woodswalk Qualifier. Bring your bow and selfnock arrows to the range near the Tom Quinn building.
Saturday (1:00pm sharp) Woodswalk  Finals
Saturday (4pm) Arrow Exchange Meet at Clubhouse
Saturday (6pm) – Camp Feast, awards and Auction in the Clubhouse. Bring a dish to pass.
Sunday – Clout Shoot time to be announced
Sunday Noon Course Closed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:12:47 pm »
Sounds like yall are going to have good weather, unlike some years. Tell the boys I said ha, maybe next year. I would love to make this one.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:06:01 pm »
Pappy,
Our spring Thaw Shoot is just a small affair compared to the larger Traditional Shoot Hawkeye puts on in August.  Although We would love to have you join us for our April Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot, if you are driving all the way up here the August Shoot is the one to attend. If you do decide to come to the Spring Thaw Shoot some year, let us know and we will set up a canvas tent with a wood stove for you to stay in.
Brian

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:55 am »
Latest forecast:
FridayA chance of snow showers, possibly mixing with rain after 1pm, then gradually ending. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 41. West wind 13 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
SaturdayMostly sunny, with a high near 48. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
Saturday NightMostly clear, with a low around 29.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 53.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:20 pm »
Thank you to everyone who helped out at the Shoot and Thank You to all who attended!

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:28:25 am »
We tried something new this year and in addition to our normal events we held a Fletcher's Show and Exchange. Each Fletcher brought a example of their work for display. We went through each arrow and the Maker gave a description (history, materials, how to etc) of what they had brought. Most of the arrows were what I would describe as primitive hunting arrows (all very nice) but one Fletcher (Gerry L of Ontario Canada) brought a very beautiful example of a English war arrow. 34 inch length 1/2 diameter poplar shaft, reinforced selfnock, 8 inch fletching, hand forged point. Gerry proceeded to educate us Backwoodsman about the history of English Medieval War bows and arrows. Very interesting and I now have a new appreciation for English Archery. After Everyone was finished with their presentations, we drew tickets for the various arrows and took home someone Else's arrow. I was very fortunate to win Gerry's arrow. It will be displayed proudly at my home! Here are a few pictures of the arrow.
Brian