Author Topic: Rules for Mojam Broadhead shoot  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Badger

Rules for Mojam Broadhead shoot
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:58:42 pm »
   These are the rules myself and the other committee members have agreed on. Myself ( Badger) AaronH, Bob Barnes, and BowEd have come up with.

2018 MOJAM BROADHEAD FLIGHT SHOOT

RULES
      The object is to cast an arrow as far as possible. We will have two classes competing for the trophies, Self bow and Composite bows. No distinction for styles or weight classes for the trophy but several certificates will be awarded to various styles and weight classes. Longest Recurve, D/R bow and  Straight bows in the 51# and above classes and 50# and below classes will be awarded in both the self and Composite bow categories. We will also award certificates of achievement to any archers reaching out to 180 yards and further. Yardage will be marked on certificates.

The shooting lane will be 30 yards wide set up as a grid so it will be to your advantage to shoot as close to 90 degrees off the shooting line as possible. Stakes will be set up at 10 yard intervals on both sides of the lane and arrows will be measured to the closest line. Only the archers longest arrow from each round will be measured.

Each round will consist of 6 arrows, there will be a $2.00 per round donation. No limit to the amount of rounds you can shoot or bows entered.

EQUIPMENT

Bows.  Bows must be made from natural materials only.  Modern adhesives and epoxies are ok. No elevated rests will be permitted and must be shot off the shelf or off the hand. No restrictions on string materials.

A self bow can be one piece of wood or billets. A built up handle section not to exceed 12” will be permitted as well as nock overlays not to exceed 2”.

A composite bow can be made from any combination of natural materials.

A recurve will be defined as any bow that when braced the string still makes contact with the limbs beyond the string loop.

A d/r bow will be defined as any bow that when braced displays more than one curve in each limb. If a limb has character curves this will not count as a d/r bow..

A straight bow will be defined as any that when braced displays one curve in each limb. Character curves in the limbs will not exclude a bow from the straight bow class. A straight bow may show reflex when not braced as long as it is not reflected in the braced or drawn profiles

ARROWS

The Committee will supply loaner arrows to anyone that doesn't have their own up to 70#.  The arrows must not weigh less than 10 grains for every pound of bow weight with a 15 grain tolerance too light, no limit on how heavy they can be.

The broadheads supplied by the tournament will be a simple triangle  7/8 wide and 2” long mounted into a slot cut into the front of the arrow. The broadhead should be mounted at 90 degrees to the arrow nock. The broadheads should not be able to fit through a 7/8” I.D.  Ring. The broadheads may be commercial or homemade as long as they are not shorter than 1” and not less than 7/8 wide.

There will be no restrictions on the size of fletches which must be natural feathers only. The arrows supplied by the tournament will have 4” fletches on arrows below 55# and 5” fletches on the heavier arrows. No restrictions on arrow nocks.

To qualify for the trophies an arrow must not measure more than 28” from the bottom of the nock to the back of the broadhead. Longer arrows will be permitted to shoot and their distances recorded and certificates for various achievements will still be awarded. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:37:09 am by Badger »

Offline JonW

Re: Rules for Mojam Broadhead shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:27:22 pm »
Am I the only one that can't open the file?

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »
  Sorry JonW, It should show up now.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:54:14 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:17:38 pm »

No restrictions on arrow nocks.

I guess plastic nocks are OK.

How about aluminum or carbon for the arrow shaft materiel?

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »
   The shafts have to be wood.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 04:33:39 am »
Ok I have to work on broadheads . I don't think mine are that long. That's ok though. I like the rules. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:14:11 am »
Ok I have to work on broadheads . I don't think mine are that long. That's ok though. I like the rules. Arvin

Arvin, check out how long your broadheads are. I want the rules to include commercial broadheads just like they are with no changes as long as they are a minimum 7/8 wide. If they are shorter than 1 3/4 I will modify the rule to accommodate commercial broadheads.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 06:34:22 am »
Good job going ahead and getting this launched Steve!
Thank you for all you do for Primitive Archery!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:53:45 am »
   Thanks Buckeye, I kind of feel like I owe it to this great group here. I fully expect to get beat here at Mojam and let the recognition go to some of the great bow builders we have on this sight who truly deserve it. If this flight shoot catches hold at the many Jamborees we have around the country it would be great. I doubt any one person will ever dominate the trophy from year to year. I am also looking forward to seeing how far it stretches out there over the years.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:38:56 am »
   Arvin, I changed the broadhead length to 1" instead of 1 3/4'. This will also make it easier for me to adjust arrow weights on the loaner arrows I will be making up.

Offline just robin

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:38 am »
I posted a link of the rules to our Facebook page.
I ranged the area the other night we will be able to get to about 230-240 yards if need be.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 08:25:48 am »
These look great Steve.

Thanks Robin! I was a little worried about the available space for this event.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:12 am »
Yes thanks Robin for that measurement info too.Thanks for making those loaner arrows too Steve.Not sure whether 250 yards is needed[if so diagonal course will be needed then].Steve or Arvin should know a lot more so than me.A 200 yard shot is a heck of a shot for anyone let alone 230 yard or a bit more I'd say.I know I'll be totally intrigued just to watch myself and help with the documenting and measuring the results of shooters let alone participate.Look forward to the whole setting up process and helping shooters get results for their bows during the shoot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 02:00:13 pm »
   I am looking forward to the different certificates for different classes, such as straight bows, r/d and recurves in different weight classes. Winners will be declared in quite a few classes.