Author Topic: archery tag  (Read 1181 times)

Offline jeffp51

archery tag
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:24:54 am »
These places are popping up around here quite a bit.  It is like paintball but with weak bows and foam tipped arrows.  I took my family tonight. They play a game called infection, where if you are hit, you have to switch sides. I am afraid I may have nailed the 11-year-old and the wife one too many times.  Got the 14-year-old a couple of times too, (in the head), but he was a good sport about it.  the 17-year-old is pretty proud his old man didn't get him at all.

On the bright side, it looks like my aim is improving. . . (SH) >:D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: archery tag
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 03:24:50 am »
That may be the 1st and last Archery Tag outing for the whole family. Tsk. Tsk.    >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:21:16 am »
The first thing taught  to children is NEVER point a weapon at another person.  Archery tag and paint ball should be made illegal. Adults I Don't get it. You should be setting a better example.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:23:44 am »
Sounds like a lot of fun! Talk about great practice.

Illegal?.....yes, for those who don't know the real thing from a game. Everyone else will have fun.
Eric

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:35:24 am »
The bows pull maybe 15 lbs at most, and there is a big foam plug (2 inches around) on the arrows. You can catch them if you see them coming and everyone gets a face mask. Even the young one had fun, he just hates to lose. It was good for our family Jeb I get your point about weapons safety, and I agree wholeheartedly. In my opinion, this was less realistic than even paintball, and way better than the video game shooters. If we don't go again it will be because of the cost,  not the pseudo violence.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
Yep, sounds like lotsa fun.
Imagine doing this at MoJam!!   :o :o      :P      ???
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »
With todays climate with the way our young are acting out. This would be the last thing I would teach a kid to do. It is fun to take them to an archery range and shoot. Being a retired LEO I have seen way too many needless injuries and deaths over 25 years.

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:33:22 pm »
lot of differing opinions here. lets continue to keep it civil. If I had kids I would not let them play this or paintball, etc. For adults, archery tag seems like it could be fun, but possibly unsafe. I see videos with people running and jumping while playing,. The nock end of an arrow can be deadly, I think. I have never seen an archery tag arrow upclose, though. I would do it if we all walked/ sneaked around. Kids need to understand the gravity of weapon use and also that you cant make your own archery tag gear- stick a foam ball on dads arrows and shoot your brother with your 30 lb compound, etc.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"