Author Topic: Using dead standing or tipped over woods for warbows/bows?  (Read 4482 times)

Offline FilipT

Using dead standing or tipped over woods for warbows/bows?
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:30:30 am »
I have two elm trees here on the pictures. I want to use them for my warbows and lower draw weight bows. As you know, elm is pretty much devastated in Europe and situation in Croatia is no different. These two on the pictures appear healthy and hard as steel, but their bark is gone. Can I use them?

Dead standing elm

Tipped over elm, marked by arrow

Root of the tipped over elm

Offline DC

Re: Using dead standing or tipped over woods for warbows/bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:47:25 am »
There are only a few woods that can be used dead. Yew and Osage are two. I don't think Elm is one. Fungus and bugs pick on dead white woods very quickly, within days or weeks. If the leaning one still has leaves it would be fine.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »
No trees have leaves now haha. Actually, black locust is another one that is tough and rot resistant.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:58:14 pm »
If it really seems usable to you, why not try it out? Quick dry it and don't bother being extremely careful while tillering it. However, to be honest, I doubt it's useful. Never tried it though, so maybe it's ok.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:29:30 am »
It is already dry, as like you know, elms die and just stand there for ages. Truly strong wood. I will go to cut them today or tomorrow and see how is the inside looking. Obviously the first ring is awful and it might be needed to chase a few rings. Although maybe the first ring can just be cleaned and sanded thoroughly and be ready for bow layout. Who knows! I will keep you all updated.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »
Eh, it was in bad condition and actually difficult to cut so I let them go. Instead I cut nearby dry but healthy black locust into 3 pieces, each about 30 cm in diameter and 2 meters long.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »
It really is a shame that we hardly have any elm trees left. Supposedly the same is going to happen to ash when the emerald ash borer reaches us.

Let's hope the locust holds up during tillering.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:57:39 am by Strichev »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »
First I must get them home. :D They are on the hill and I must split them there so I can more easily bring them home. Btw, when I cut them I noticed that they don't have any whitewood. Maybe just a thin layer of it, which will make chasing rings easier.