Author Topic: bow building in iraq  (Read 9273 times)

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
bow building in iraq
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:16 pm »
hey there all.. i have a question.... i am going back to iraq in december... maybe january.. but anyhoo.. while i was there this last time i saw a lot... alot! of eucalyptus... and it looked like there were some really nice staves waiting to be cut outta some of the logs.... has anyone ever tried this wood for a bow? i have an obsession with making things while i am over there... and the new tools i have aquired aer going with me.... >:D  ;D
death by natural causes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow building in iraq
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
There are many different varieties(species) of eucalyptus. I have heard of guys in Australia making bows with it but I don't know what type. Give it a try.
   Thanks for your service. We all really appreciate all of you guys(and gals) in service in Iraq and Afghanistan...and everywhere else they are. ;) 8)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:58 pm »
 I can't help with the eucalyptus , but I do hear that you can find water buffalo horn in the markets .And in Afghanistan ,not sure about Iraq , they have yak and ibex horn at the markets . They are very hard to find here ,so you could at least put a few back for a horn bow .Or trade them when you get back.

Ralph

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:12:59 am »
  bowmunky13

And everybody else on here;  How about when you get over there, one of us send you a stave. You set it up, give us the shipping info, and we can send staves to guys you get interested in this obsecssion. I'll send the first ones, everybody else can jump in. This family, I'm sure can supply sting material and arrow making stuff too. Heck, we could probally send Cowboy over there to show you how to chip that tough rock.

It would no way help to pay for the privledge of our freedom you guy's are providing but maybe give you something relaxing to do .Besides it will keep ya'll out of all those Topless Bars and Honkey- Tonks ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:31:34 am »
Absolutely,  I would be honored to send a stave or two.  Also whatever else I can get my hands on. Feathers, string material etc.  Would it be possible to send to you to take with you when you go.  Or would it be better to send directly to you in Iraq?  I don't think they have topless bars in Iraq, probably pretty hard to find "burka-less" bars.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:41 am »
I'm in!   Just let me know what and when. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:45:52 am »
thanks guys you are all awesome.. i do have a few guys who are interested... mainly my platoon sergeant and my PA yeah ... i am a medic so i tend to have less duty than most others... i will try to snag some horns and maybe find some chippable rock... that crap broke my entrenching tool when i was helping to dig latrines... but anyhoo... thanks again guys.. i will try to get some neat stuff for trade you will have to wait for the address though .... we dont get any shipping info till we are there a week or two.. who knows.... we may not even have to go.... prays reaaaaalll hard.... any hoo... my wife says thank you all very much for givving your support
death by natural causes

jeduffey

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:58 am »
I'm completely in line with what you guys are thinking here. I had mentioned something similar to a friend at my church who keeps being sent back to Iraq. He told me that the chain of command is not too keen on the guys have "weapons to play with". Now, I'm not discouraging your project. I just want to make sure that you ask a few key questions and keep the soldiers out of trouble while you are trying to help. IF it comes about that this gets approved I'll chip in something as well. IF it gets squashed by the brass, then I propose considering a back up plan allowing the generosity to take shape in through an approved avenue of hobby pursuit.

330bull

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
Vine Maple, Hazelnut, Yew staves...sign me up too! 

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:55:47 am »
so far i havent had anyproblems with the notion... as long as the hobby is enjoyed safely ... then it isnt a problem... the MWR center even has events every now and then that have little minni shoots where we are given fiberglass tent poles with 550 cord as bows and youth arrows... it was a nice gesture but there is nothing like a good strong piece wood cut and smoothed with a loving hand
death by natural causes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:02:55 am »
BM, keep us posted.   Tell your wife thanks for her sacrifices while you are away. Don't hear much about the loved ones left at home taking care of business. ;) 8)     Pat

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:29:10 am »
  Bowmunky, As far as the logistic's that's not a big deal. I can get address's through CENTCOM and my son and other friends.Our Traditional Archery club in Florida has been sending bows and arrows over to Iraq since the second invasion. We have the in. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

stickchick

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:59:08 am »
hey guys this is bowmunky's wife...just wanted to say thanks for all the support on this subject. I was planning on getting him a stave with some money I have been saving from some of the napping that I do...(he showed me and we quickly found out that I am better at it..lol)....and then sending to Iraq after he gets deployed again...you know so he would have something to work on over there.  ;) I am not looking forward to having to say goodbye to him again but knowing that there is careing people out there helps alot. I have been enjoying Primitive archor since I first met bowmunky, and to be honest I was a little worried about joining the site....(didn't want to be the odd girl out) but he informed me that you guys wouldn't do that. But anyway I just wanted to say thanks for all the support on this topic. Should he get the okay once he gets over there I will post his address so you guys can send stuff if you would like to. God bless America and the troops who defend her.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:21:01 am »
when i was in Iraq i seen alot of  eucalyptus too, i tested a piece of it and it seems like it would work well.. i also found some nappable rock when i was there but costems would not let me take any home. so is you make a bow from the eucalyptus dont let everyone know its a tree from Iraq.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 02:29:52 am »
good luck bowmunky, and i cant cut my own bow staves, much less any to send anyone els. but i back you al the way, and good luck. we ( yes even the teens) really apreciate what you guys do. what branch of the service u in?
lets just shoot it