Author Topic: Cheep Cheep!  (Read 1313 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Cheep Cheep!
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
Went and got the whole set up when the wife and kids went out this morning. The wife knows, but the kids have no idea. They are going to flip when they get home. Can't wait to see the looks on their little faces!  :o

:)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cheep Cheep!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02:11 am »
Kids are gonna lose their little minds when they see them!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:18:33 am »
Hope they all aren't roosters!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:25:34 am »
Yeah, you just got them for the fletching >:D
Nice gift. :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 01:16:18 pm »
Young rooster can go in the pot.  -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 01:19:36 pm »
They will love it, but I bet you wind up taking care of them.

When my kids were small, I bought a little styrofoam incubator that handled about 36 eggs and hatched baby chicks a few times. The kids learned a lot from that. One of their biggest surprises came when the babies started cheeping before they broke out of the shells. At a later time, one chick got an injury to one leg and couldn't keep up with the hen, so one of my daughters adopted it. That chicken followed her everywhere it could, just as if she were it's mama.

WA

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:12:15 pm »
So if you make it to the Marshall shoot we can expect some fresh BBQ chicken?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
Cool thing to do Jeff.Good way to teach them the facts of life in a kind but realistic way.I'm sure they'll tell their friends at school.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:40:24 pm »
Their always so cute when their fuzzy yet. They really do grow up fast. We always raised 100 every year. The biggest job was butchering them. If you want to catch them when they get bigger bend a hook on a four foot piece of form wire. Then you can hook them by the feet. Oh and don't wear red they will peck at red. My little sister still hates chickens. She had red boots.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 09:18:31 pm »
JW, they did indeed! When they got home I said something like, "Do you guys hear that? I think there's a bird in the basement. Let's go check it out." They followed me down the stairs and  (A) It was awesome.

Hawk, they promised me no roosters!

Zuma, can the feathers be used for that? Hmmmm...  8)

Pat, I got 5 for eggs and 5 for eatin' so the pot'll have to wait for a bit  ;)

Yeah Chip, I kinda figured I'd be doin' most of the work. I'll make um' do some though, whether they like it or not!  >:D

Nothing would please me more than seeing all you PAs with mouthfuls of BBQ chicken OO. I'll do my best to make it, promise.

Ed, I'm always looking for ways to present the realities of life without totally freakin them out.  O:) I think this will be a good experience for sure.

Those are some priceless pieces of experiential wisdom there BJ.  ;) I'll be sure to tell Melissa not to buy any red boots for either of them!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
Right!  When I was a wee buchail (tyke) too far back, '43 or so,  my dad and my uncle got 50 unseeded chicks to aid the war effort - turned out to be 49 roosters and 1 hen!  Luck of the Irish!   There was a sudden trip to the zoo fur us kids!   Later got more lots hens!  And 5 Bataam chicks for a dime!  Those were mine!  Tough lill Devils
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 07:49:43 am »
We keep chickens, they're great fun and really not that much work if you've got a decent run for them. Be warned when it gets close to the time for them to start laying (which may not be until next spring) it'll be like waiting for your wife to give birth...
Trevor

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »
How old should the broilers be when it's time for  -C-?

I've heard if you let um' get much older than 8 weeks they get to fat to support their own weight.

Nigerian Proverb