Author Topic: Return, And Ever Seeking a Traditional/Sustainable Existence  (Read 2243 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Return, And Ever Seeking a Traditional/Sustainable Existence
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:59:52 am »
Hello all,
I used to be on here when I was a lot younger, middle school and on. Some may remember me. I was just filing down a bamboo shoot nodule when I got to thinking about this forum and may be starting a discussion. Since, I was very young I always felt a pull away from the mainstream society and with distractions here and there, peer pressure, females and jobs, family etc, I got off course. But I can say I am in control of my main idea and way more focused.
I sold my truck last year and now own no vehicle, nor much else and have spent the majority of the last year nomadic and on foot, off grid. Whether hitch hiking and walking with my dog to and fro and where I needed to go or crossing the country the 4 times we did this year; I helped my dad drive out to Oregon for his  Umpqua job, hitched and bussed back to Pa, then delivered his work van later and just two weeks ago, after renting a house on west coast with family, rolled into the east coast again driving my grandparents back in their van. . .
It won't be happening much again and isn't particularly traditional all that driving, but it lessened my use of thumb and was helping family, despite the sometimes extreme difficulty of doing so.
So I am generally rootless. I've  owned a tiny chunk of land for a few years now in remote Central Northern Pennsylvania with a 12x12 mostly recycled off grid hut. I lived there last summer for a few months using a pack donkey to haul some gear, water and firewood, but gave it up due to lack of community and to go back to hitch hiking and to head west.
I collect rain water and walk a mile to collect from a piped spring at a friends, cook on a fire and forage a lot of edibles and a little hunting. I am planning on using a break down recurve I acquired last year to stow away canned and preserved meat for winter off grid in my dark hut. I do home remodeling work here and there for family in Southern Pa and odd jobs where I find them such as I did in Oregon with a CL gig. But generally I have little money and prefer it as so.
I still plan to jump back into pack animals, most likely a small herd of goats, but would prefer to do so with at least another person I can stand to be around and be patient with, as I do spend a lot of time with just my pack pooch.

I'm checking in. curious if anyone else is living a more traditonal, less THE MAN  :D reliant lifestyle, I am not 100% yet though either.
Hope to be on here a little more and check builds and such as I hope to become more primitive in time. I hope this didn't sound ego fueled, but how else can someone describe themselves without a particular label? Haha  hope to post some photos and hope to hear from some folks and take care to all!
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Return, And Ever Seeking a Traditional/Sustainable Existence
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:57 am »
Best of luck with your minimalist lifestyle.
You up in Coudersport area? I was in Williamsport area for 20 years.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:03:11 pm »
East of there, few miles outside galeton. passed through williamsport and slept along the river. neat little town
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »
Yes I remember you, ;) glad you are doing well and welcome back. Good luck on your quest.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:18:57 pm »
Living the dream Good for you.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:23:30 pm »
curious if anyone else is living a more traditonal, less THE MAN  :D reliant lifestyle
yes, and many folks where I am live more traditional than most. Some more than others.

Online BrianS

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 07:15:32 am »
Best of luck on your Journey. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 06:42:37 pm »
I remember you also, glad you are doing well. You're living the dream a lot wish they could.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »
I remember when you were checking out Jumping trains and hitting the road, years back.  Sounds like you’d have plenty to write about for an article...sounds interesting.  Good luck to you.
1’—>1’

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 03:02:16 pm »
and i did just that. rode some freights now since i started hoboing in 2011. been trying to write a book but just havn't put it all together yet. wintering over in my shack this winter with typewriter i hope to do that, and not go insane
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Strichev

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »
It sounds like an adventure! I've often thought about going that way, but it sure takes guts to actually do it. I always ended up worrying about health, old age and such, thinking that one needs to achieve security in the form of a regular income job, get some savings and so on. But it never ends, the rat-race does it?

How long do you plan to sustain this lifestyle? What are your plans for the future? You should totally write an article/story/book! Anyway, good luck.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 07:45:34 pm »
well I can't really stand the rat race long and I have to move and or be alone with my pooch for awhile.
Future. . . no future, I believe I'll let it become its own such as we would have not long ago. I'm under my moms health insurance another year maybe?, as well as dental which I imbibe in neither and then I have no worries either. If ten years from now I am homeless I am okay with that, I have met more people without houses, free, than people stuck with all that comes along with ownership. I am only 26 but know my future will be as it shall. I have realized, as I dance between both worlds, that needs are easier to acquire than wants and leave you more satisfied, as in comparison.
Modern Day Tramp