Author Topic: Firewood  (Read 6327 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Firewood
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:44 am »
Like others said back and belly checks that do to runoff the sides are probably ok. Superglue theme and clamp them. At least that's what I've done.

Side check are an issue though.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:06 am »
Sometimes they are junk and sometimes not, when I get a piece like that I just work it down until all the checks are gone and see what I have left to make a bow, side checks I am talking about, the back and belly as has been said, if they don't run off the edge will usually work out OK. As far as your mishandling , it could have been you and maybe not. Osage is like that sometimes, you never really know until you undress it. ;)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:54 am »
Hey Pearl if you want to bring some of those staves to Marshall I'd take em. I'm sure if nothing else I can make some more kids bows for our 4-H group. Better than making firewood, got plenty of dead ash for that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline junseld84

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 02:44:03 pm »
Danzn Bar, i'm in Lexington actually but I grew up just south of Louisvile.

Offline junseld84

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »
Hi all,

Just a quick update to keep this thread going. I've had very little time to work on this project so I've not made it very far. I've added a handle of padauk to add needed thickness to the handle section and because I like the accent. I hope to do the tip overlays in padauk too. I have it up on the tree with a long string and have it bending relatively well to brace height. At brace height it's pulling 17lbs which I'm assuming means that I'll fall well short of the 55 lb goal weight. The one question I do have, should I add the tip overlays before I finish tillering or wait until the end?

P.S. Sorry for the mess in the pics, I'm working in less than ideal conditions.

Handle
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqEuko9Cwco9iL9DqOu9Q6P_ROg7aQ

Relaxed
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqEuko9Cwco9iL9B3-igxMzVD29Wsw

Drawn
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqEuko9Cwco9iL9AmQ5ptAQHv0ZfQg

Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:34:36 am by junseld84 »

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
When to put on the overlays seems to be an individual choice. Some think it's a waste of time to put in all that work and then have the bow break. Others don't. I glue them on when I'm ready for the long string but don't do any more than make then smooth enough so I can string the bow. I use thick CA so there is just time for a coffee and I'm ready to go. If the bow does break you can re-use the tips, just saw them off neatly and put them somewhere so you can find them again.

Offline junseld84

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 07:39:32 pm »
Thanks DC, that was kind of the picture I was getting while reading through other buildalongs. I want to do them just to try it, so I'll go ahead an add them before moving on. Also, something about the draw weight was eating at me as the bow seemed a lot stiffer than the draw weight I was measuring with my digital scale. So I had read somewhere to hang weight off the string and that would give a better picture. So I shortened my long string to a low brace height and hung 25 lbs off of it. It barely budged, so I bumped it up to 40 which is at least 10lbs less than my target and it stretched to about 25". Part of that was the string stretching too. So I'm in good shape to get close I think. I just thought I'd make an update because  I know everyone was losing sleep over me missing my target weight! I'll post more tillering pics when I get a proper background to contrast it with.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 12:23:54 am »
Good luck! :BB.  Hope that piece works out!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline junseld84

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:33 am »
Thanks Hawkdancer.

I've made a little more progress on the project. I was able to rough in tip overlays, added a decent backboard to my tillering tree, made a string and braced the bow. I've worked down the stiff limb to get the two bending close to the same. I've taken a few photos so show all the imperfections remaining in the bow and the bow at different draw lengths. I'd appreciate any feedback on the tiller as my inexperienced eye in conjunction with the bends and knots in this bow have me not so confident at the moment. Also, I have worked the tips down to 5/8" wide and was planning to go a bit thinner. As far as the thickness back to belly, do I need to trim down the mass there to get the tips moving a little better or do those look about right?

Offline junseld84

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 12:37:39 am »
Here are pics of the imperfections.

Offline junseld84

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 12:40:43 am »
More flaws pics...

Offline junseld84

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 12:44:57 am »
Finally tillering pics..

Unbraced, it took a little set after the first bracing but still has some recurve.

Braced

@18"

@26"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:05 am »
Well I'd say that piece of firewood probably tought you a lot. I probably would be worried about that check in the side and probably a couple others but it was just firewood right.

I think your left limb looks a bit stiff mid limb but I'd stop just before the kink 2/3rds out. Looks very close to a hinge there but kink could be tricking me. Also stay away from fade on left limb.

Right limb looks slightly stiff out of fade but be careful there. You don't want to take to much set there and just a little movement makes a big difference. Also seems a bit stiff from first kink to just before second kink.

I think both of your tips could be thinned down a bit.
Not sure how much more draw your looking for but whatever it is just work on perfecting your tiller.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:24:25 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline junseld84

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 08:29:04 am »
Thanks bjrogg, I'm having trouble with those kink areas for sure, especially the left. I tried to get those kinks out with heat earlier in the process but they just wouldn't cooperate. The left doesn't appear to hinge while I'm working the limbs until I get close to full draw and even then I can't decide if it's just an optical illusion or not.

And yes, honestly I've learned so much being my first attempt at this that even if she does give out on me, I'd be more than happy to have the "need" to try again. Maybe with a straighter piece, cleaner piece though, if I can find one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:35:58 am by junseld84 »

Offline junseld84

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:27 am »
And at this point, the final draw weight is what it is I guess. I had about 40lbs hanging from it @26 in that pic.