Author Topic: Goose hunt?  (Read 4979 times)

Offline clewis

Goose hunt?
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:06:10 pm »
Hi folks, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience hunting Canadian geese (lesser and greater) with a primitive setup? Blunts, stone tips etc, I’m just curious to see what works for ya.

Thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Goose hunt?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:25:20 am »
As close as I've come was crawling up on some feeding in a corn field and when they took off I barely missed one with a broadhead flying.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:25 am »
No offense intended, but if you want to kill geese use a shotgun. I kill a lot of geese and I would bet one can fly a long way before dying with an arrow through it. The lungs and heart is a very small kill area. If you want to go primitive use a smokepole.  ;D

Last time I was killing geese one buddy would take shots, I and my buddy would pass on. Me and my dog would have to walk 700 yards after wounded birds and her run them down so I could windmill them and put them down. You're likely to end up having the same issue and without a trained dog it would be very difficult.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »
We see pictures on the news rather often of geese with arrows - not a good image for real Hunter's to put forth!  There is a web type point that is supposed to tangle up the wings and bring them down, but I have never seen seen it used.  Might try throwing a bolo at them!  LikeRob says, use a shotgun of some sort!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:21:23 pm »
Use the same setup as deer, a razor sharp broadhead, if your going to give a try. They are tough birds and a shotguns is recommended.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:20 pm »
Not wanting to start a war but is there that much difference between a goose and a turkey?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »
if you shoot a goose in the ground, not so much, when you put one through the wing, disabling flight. Many people will shoot geese in flight. I have no issue shooting a goose on the ground, some think it's unsportsmanlike like. These people make terrible big game hunters, as they will be waiting a long time.
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 02:59:31 pm »
Don, turkeys cant fly for miles and miles with an arrow in them. Geese can and do. When you hit a turkey they may jump up and fly a few hundred yards or less, you have to watch them land, or crash if the shot was solid. And lastly, geese are nowhere near the size and so the kill shot area is even smaller, including their head. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:13:36 pm »
Got it, thanks

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 03:16:14 pm »
just need to up your arrow to a dart

https://alaska.si.edu/record.asp?id=305

Offline clewis

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »
Hi everyone, I really appreciated all the feedback some things to consider. The reason I ask is that I’ll have an opportunity in a few weeks to visit a James Bay community in northern Canada to “observe” a seasonal spring goose hunt and wanted to gift a functional bow and arrow set to their elders as a way to show my appreciation for the opportunity. That’s all.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
Might do better with an atlatl behind the spear, but the forked point would be effective.  Clewis, a bow and arrow set would likely be a very appropriate gift for the occasion.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:06 pm »
A nice long barbed arrow would sure hinder their flying.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 12:32:57 pm »
Clewis, you may have more flexibility up there and another thing to practice before heading up there. "The skipping arrow" I am not sure how Canada works and if they have tribal land and don't have to follow the game laws, or not. This wold be really cool to try out and to show them. I've never tried it as shooting at resting waterfowl in Maryland is illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EtQnJvelw0
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:31:52 pm »
if you got close enough, a shaft with fishing setup might work, but where we are- its ocean- and they head that way when spooked- i aint swimming 700 yards after a goose ;D
but a .223  and a head shot work well for some folk ;)