Author Topic: Bone Target Points?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Bone Target Points?
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:20 am »
So I need something on my arow tips to shoot with. Using bare wood is getting to chewed up and I don’t want to use metal tips. Does anyone have any ideas on bone points? Im using cane shafts by the way. If it’s not possible, I’ll get some from my friend.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Bone Target Points?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:55 am »
Ryan,
Bone points go way, way back!  I would think cooked or aged bones would work, probably best to wait until your dog gets done with it, though!  He/she may even chew out a preform for you!  Btw, don't give the dog cooked bones.  If you shape them with a grinding wheel, wear a dust mask.  Have fun.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:05 pm »
I think some oriental arrows use bone points. Not much help I know. I've thought about it myself. I use bamboo arrows and compound nail points. To duplicate the same method of attachment I think the pin that goes into the arrow would break. Maybe a tapered seat, like a foreshaft is done would work. Are you going to put some lead or something in the arrow to get a reasonable FOC?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:05 pm »
Something like the 2nd from the left?

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:48:20 am »
If you are looking for practice tips for bamboo shafts you can't go too wrong with scaffold nails.  That is a nail with two heads so it can be snugged up and then easily pulled out.  I use 16 penny nails.  Grind the top flat head off into a point, leave the bottom head for a shelf to but the bamboo to.  Cut the nail to length so it weighs in around 125 grains.  Drill out the bamboo shaft to fit the nail and then glue the point in with Gorilla Glue.  It make for a very indestructible point.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:51:09 pm »
Hawkdancer
That’ll be pretty easy, I’m planning on using a wet stone instead of a grinding wheel.
DC
FOC is for Force on Contact right or wrong? Anyways this is just to help with durability.
dieselcheese
Something like that would work but what bone even is that? Seems to be more like antler
Buck67
That’s probably a really good point but I don’t own any power tools.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:34:22 pm »
Hawkdancer
That’ll be pretty easy, I’m planning on using a wet stone instead of a grinding wheel.
DC
FOC is for Force on Contact right or wrong? Anyways this is just to help with durability.
dieselcheese
Something like that would work but what bone even is that? Seems to be more like antler
Buck67
That’s probably a really good point but I don’t own any power tools.

FOC is Forward of Center I believe. Anyway it's a measure of where the arrow balances. An arrow can get a little squirrelly if it isn't weight forward. Bone is kind of light.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »
DC
Ah, I get it. I might add some lead then to make it more top heavy. Right now It’s dead center.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:18:53 pm »
I would try it and see if they fly better. If not, take it back out. I like light arrows. Unless you're going to hunt with them.