Author Topic: Some days you should just stay in bed  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Some days you should just stay in bed
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:45 am »
 :'( :'( :'(

one of my first board bows. didnt know anything and the tiller was off on a limb. they were both good tillers just one was bending more. grabbed a spokeshave and took the stiff side down to A 5# bow. 20# to a # pound in 5 pulls.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 11:07:15 am »
I've never understood why someone would want to basically do localized damage to a working area of the bow.  We take all kinds of steps to preserve the integrity of the belly and then burn or stamp the fibers right where a chrysal would form?  No thanks.

Used to be quite common in the past too.
I have to agree with you. I think it started with wanting to mark it in a primitive manner. Then in a moment of vanity I thought that a burned in mark would be impossible to remove without ruining the bow thereby marking it forever as mine. As it turned out most of them are hanging on the wall so it was really an exercise in futility. That said I have never had an issue with the mark damaging the bow. As I venture further into the search for speed it may bite me. How do you mark your bows Pat?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 11:32:44 am »
I write my name with ink,, one the fade area side,, then finish over it,, you could sand it off,, )P(
I have a bow from Marc,, it has MSL  burned in the handle,,, and it is signed on the belly,,,
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:37:25 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 11:43:24 am »
The thick part of the fade would make more sense. Next time. Thanks

The Zen Master

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 12:12:48 pm »
The last thing I do before applying tung oil is burn in my initials. I'm afraid that if I scrape it off I'll screw up the tiller on what is probably my best bow ever. Maybe I'll have to leave it and it will be my "Inverted Jenny". I guess worse things could happen but I can't think of a stupider thing ;D ;D ;D

I have no clue if this is a viable suggestion - could you connect the C (make it a D) then "erase" the straight line in the D? Maybe scrape the line then raise the grain with a wet Q-tip and blend it in?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 12:16:43 pm »
yeah just scrape the inside of the indent to get rid of the black stuff.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 12:29:44 pm »
The burn goes quite deep and I would hate to do even more damage than the burning already did. I could probably get away with it but I'll leave it for now.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 01:06:18 pm »
Different material but the same story. I have a flintlock rifle with a barrel from one of the best rifle barrel builders that has ever been. He signed his name, W. M. Large, with stamps in a semicircle on the side flat of the barrel. On my barrel the G in Large is backwards, this has never been seen on any of his barrels.

When I showed picture of his stamp on M/L sites some claimed my barrel was a fake. Fortunately there was a guy on the site who worked with Mr Large in the 50s making barrels. I had an endoscope picture inside the barrel, Bob Roller took on look at the rifling configuration and said "that is one of Bill's barrels".

Don't want to hijack the thread. But several years ago, Ken Wee told me that "Bill" Large took to marking his barrels with four Js, the initials of his daughters, apparently because the ATF was getting too involved in barrel making.  This would have been in the 60s or 70s.  My flintlock is one of those barrels, but I don't know who actually built it.  It is more accurate than I am! :-M (lol)
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 01:23:20 pm »
The burn goes quite deep and I would hate to do even more damage than the burning already did. I could probably get away with it but I'll leave it for now.

Don, I fully believe that what you did will in no way affect that bow. To think it will cause frets is really reaching to find something "wrong". 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 01:34:04 pm »
DC, I don't mark my bows in any way.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 01:48:12 pm »
Thanks PD and PatM, I really appreciate your input. I think the only diff in your opinions is "could it cause a problem" and "will it cause a problem". If you are on the borderline of fretting this could make it happen but if you're not on the borderline you're OK. I'm getting to that border so I think I'll move the mark to the thickest part of the fade. It should be safe there and keep my vanity intact (lol)