Author Topic: Neck Knives  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Traxx

Neck Knives
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
A recent post,brought up a question ive had for a while now...Now dont take this as derogatory criticism or the likes,,but a serious question,in need of a serious answer....What is the recent,,infatuation with the neck knives?????

It seems as though it has become a symbol of the Primitive Skills and Bushcraft movement,,in recent times..Is it really a practical tool???...Seems as though it could be a hindrance and potential hazard in real world bush craft scenarios...Is it more of a camp tool thing,,or something of that nature???....I just dont quite understand it...Educate me..

Offline KHalverson

Re: Neck Knives
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:41 pm »
its really nothing new in the archery or knife making world.
they have been popular since i started going to archery shoots over 25 years now.
as well as 12 years of knife making.
 to be honest i would rather have a knife  in my armguard.
people seem to like neck knives so i make them.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:36:41 pm »
HAHAHA!!!!
Thats something else ive never understood,,the knife in the arm guard thing,,but it doesnt seem to be as popular,so ive never asked..LOL

Why would someone,want to add bulk,to an item,they are using to avoid slap and contact with?????

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:37:59 pm »
Neck knives were worn by men of most of the Great Lakes tribes in N America. I find having a knife around my neck very convenient. It has to be a smaller knife, 6 inches or under. I like the strap to be somewhat short, just big enough to get over my head. If it gets in the way, I just tuck it down into my shirt. I find the neck knife much less bothersome than I do a belt knife.

Kyle

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:48:16 pm »
I must confess,that im not well versed,in the culture of the Nations,of the east...Is there any documented historical evidence,of the use of them,that i could research??..I would be interested in seeing that..
There is none,that i have seen personally,,that suggest their use,by western tribes..I believe,,many have seen pics of Native women,with what appears as such,but i believe they are mistaking an awl for a neck knife...The first time i recall seeing them used,was by Black powder fur trade enthusiast and they called them a patch knife..In speaking with a few AMA members,they said they believed,they were more a modern invention and not historically used in that time frame...

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:51 pm »
Ksnow,,
It was actually your post that prompted me to ask this question,that i have had lingering in me,for some time..Regardless of the opinions of the use of them,,i feel you do nice work and enjoy seeing it..

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:49:56 am »
There is a ton of evidence for them in the East. And the French fur trappers/traders were quick to adopt the habit of wearing them around their necks also.  I don't have my research with me here at work, but if you want sources, I can hunt them down this weekend. Out west, I have no evidence for them. I also have ZERO evidence for women wearing them.

Kyle

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:20:44 pm »
A bunch of views,,but little dialog....Anyone else have any input???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:15:38 am »
Kevin gave me one many years ago, and I love it. I rarely use a belt knife anymore as a result. The neck knife wont dig into my waist when I sit down or squat down. I leave it inside my shirt so it stays dry and cant be lost, he stitched a magnet inside the sheath to prevent that. I dont like walking into a store with 8" of knife on my side, the neck knife is easily hidden and obscure. I dont need to wear a belt to carry my neck knife, I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and still carry my knife. I wear mine when I go fly fishing, hard to wear waders with a belt knife on. I don't care about social status, trendy trends or what anybody else does or did in the past with their tools. I'm a practical person and neck knives are a very practical tool. Try one, maybe you will answer your own curiosity's. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 12:34:54 pm »
I have made stone neck knives for the grand kids but I wouldn't wear one myself as it seems like it would get in the way. I go to a lot of traditional, primitive and flint knapping events and rarely see folks wearing them.  Those that do are usually vendors as part of their costume.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:55 am »
Actually PD,,,,

I was Gifted one,about 10 years ago and tried it..It didnt work out for me and led to the question,,of how these things became so popular..Mine is a deer antler,,with an insert  for screw in broadheads...Your post,did bring up another question though..Depending on location and laws,,could tucking these under clothing,be considered a concealed weapon???....

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 02:47:52 pm »
Google that question for the state that you live in and be prepared for the confused condition you will be left in. In Michigan it is/was a 3"Blade but there are several exceptions to that.  Now if you have a CCW permit you are all set.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 04:27:32 pm »
 be prepared for the confused condition you will be left in.

LOL!!!!!!!!.....Sometimes,,i think they do that on purpose..LOL

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
I carry one all the time and have for many years, I use it all the time and once use to one I am lost without it.Not sure how they got started and don't really care, they work for me and that is really all that matters. I also carry at least 1 pocket knife/lighter/small pair of pliers/bill fold and pistol in my pants pockets and as of later years a cell phone. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 06:50:42 am »
Mine lays right flat against my chest. It is a simple 3" knife with a forged/curled over handle. I don't even feel it inside my shirt. I can see where an antler handle or wider wood handle inside a shirt could get uncomfortable. I rarely have mine on the outside of my shirt.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.