Author Topic: New PB  (Read 25445 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: New PB
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:33 am »
Hard work well rewarded leonwood.Congratulations!!!Good feeling to go past your previous best.I like that design.Most all my bows for quite some time have that lever type design.Mostly self bows though.I just shoot through the chrono so far with great results.I'll see what happens at Mo Jam flight shoot with them.Need an education on arrows too I'm sure.I'm ready to eat crow though...Ha Ha Ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:28 am »
Congrats!  Great results from a well crafted set.   Looks like you saved weight out on the tips by using maple, or is that just thicker bamboo?

Thanks!
Yes I glued an extra lam in the tips. I did this both for weight reduction and to glue some reflex in the levers

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:37 am »
Hard work well rewarded leonwood.Congratulations!!!Good feeling to go past your previous best.I like that design.Most all my bows for quite some time have that lever type design.Mostly self bows though.I just shoot through the chrono so far with great results.I'll see what happens at Mo Jam flight shoot with them.Need an education on arrows too I'm sure.I'm ready to eat crow though...Ha Ha Ha.

Thanks, the feeling of seeing your arrow dissapear on you when you release is pretty awesome. And even better when you can't seem to find your arrows and find out they are 60 yards away in the next field ;D

But I am building a shorter, more extreme selfbow version out of mulberry now, hope to get a new selfbow record as well;-)

Post some pics of the Mojam shoot here if you can, would love to see what everybody comes up with!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »
The Mo Jam shoot is just a broadhead type shoot,but I'm sure they'll be plenty of pics like there usually is at Mo Jam.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 02:17:15 am »
Excellent shooting Leonwood! You make it seem too easy. :D I've noticed that you make a lot of recurves, do you shoot flight with them also?
Can i ask what was the deflection of your arrow in 22" spine test?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 03:14:20 am »
Excellent shooting Leonwood! You make it seem too easy. :D I've noticed that you make a lot of recurves, do you shoot flight with them also?
Can i ask what was the deflection of your arrow in 22" spine test?

Thanks! And it was not easy at all, worked on flight bows and arrows all winter to get a grasp on what would work and what would not ;D Loads of improvement needed so I hope to do a little better in the next few of months.
But my best shot from a selfbow was with my black locust hollow limb static. I am working on a few shorter recurves now to see what that does. I am using Steves no set tillering method and that works really well with the hollow limb design.
I am on holiday for the next week so will measure the deflexion of this arrow when I get back. (Send me a reminder if it takes too long beacause I might forget these things after a few days ::))

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 02:45:10 pm »
Excellent vast for sure . Wish I could get that from my selfbow. Well done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 03:42:45 am »
Thanks! And it was not easy at all, worked on flight bows and arrows all winter to get a grasp on what would work and what would not ;D Loads of improvement needed so I hope to do a little better in the next few of months.
But my best shot from a selfbow was with my black locust hollow limb static. I am working on a few shorter recurves now to see what that does. I am using Steves no set tillering method and that works really well with the hollow limb design.
I am on holiday for the next week so will measure the deflexion of this arrow when I get back. (Send me a reminder if it takes too long beacause I might forget these things after a few days ::))
Great!
Well sure it takes a lot of effort and time. But at the same time there are guys who have shot flight for years, without hitting your numbers! Which is impressing.
I agree, monitoring set is really important in flight bows.

Offline willie

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
But my best shot from a selfbow was with my black locust hollow limb static.
:OK

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 01:46:29 am »
Here is a reminder!
Arrow spine is allways interesting in flight, since it might vary so much between setups. Over the weekend i shot some 100 arrows in really various spines, from 34# to 90# (tested in 22" spinetest). Its really hard to find the right one. Some might seem to get off ok, but then there are ones that leave the bow so smoothly and quickly it makes you reconsider everything!

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 09:26:10 am »

Interesting that your arrow flew straight with the COG behind centre... I've seen some fly like a corkscrew with the weight too close to centre. Maybe the fatter back end and the flights keep it going straight? Any thoughts, comments anyone.

I'm not an expert by am means, but I did testing in a ballistics laboratory. It doesn't matter where the COG is in a projectile, as long as the COP, center of pressure, is behind the COG when launched, either spin stabilized like a rifle bullet, or fin stabilized like a missile, or arrow.

Great looking bow, I hope to get performance like that out of a bow some day. Ill be doin it in yards tho.
Eric

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 01:27:26 pm »
  Interesting Desert, something I have always suspected, I started moving my COP back a couple of years ago, looking forward to trying them out.

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 03:45:15 pm »
Just curious, how do you calculate COP on an arrow.  From what I've read about COP with regard to bullets, I would assume the fletching imparts drag and rotation so the nose stays centered but is there some rule of thumb formula that y'all are using to estimate where that falls?  Do you increase rotation or drag (larger feathers) or both?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
There is a lot involved with center of pressure, it's not a simple calculation since it is dynamic calculation. For example, the COP of a bullet will change as velocity changes, which is also true with arrows, but not enough to talk about since we are dealing with extremely slow velocities when it comes to ballistics. Your fletching is what shifts your COP rearward. So a higher or longer fletching will shift it back. A tapered shaft helps too because this will not only shift COG forward, but help move COP back during flight. Maybe I shouldn't use this as an example, but, the opposite of a tapered shaft would be a long range bullet where the ogive is extremely long, this creates in flight COP in front of COG, a very bad thing. So these have to be spun like crazy to over come the instability of the light weight front end and a heavy rear. With arrows, we don't have to worry about that, but tapering is a solution for flight shooting rather than increasing fletching height, along with its other benefits for flight shooting.
Eric

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:23 pm »
  I have gone with a slight front to back taper and then I come back and gently taper the front 6" just a smidgeon to adjust weight.