Author Topic: Good signs of spring  (Read 7129 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Good signs of spring
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 04:35:05 pm »
I guess there are some around lake Rathbun 15 miles from me too all summer long.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 09:43:36 am »
The dandelions are blooming and, with that, the Goldfinches have arrived.   :)
(And some more thunderstorms...)  :(

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 10:30:13 am »
Paul...do you feed those gold finches any?Many people do here.I do.So much so they call then Iowas' welfare bird....lol.Saw the grosbeaks arrive yesterday.Red headed wood peckers too.In all I suppose we got 7 different kinds of wood peckers observed mostly here.The biggest being the flicker down to the small downy[there is a large downy too] and white bellied nut hatch.
No indigo buntings yet.Awful pretty bird & no humming birds yet either.
As soon as the carpenter bees arrive it'll be full blown spring.It takes consistent 80 degree weather for them to appear.I use traps to get rid of them.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:07 am »
No Ed, I don't feed them but I've got so many dandelions and thistle and wildflowers around that they can fend for themselves. I do see them at the bird feeders now and then tho.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »
I see yes that's always good.I feed them here.Robin likes to take pictures of wildlife.
A smart old Amish fellow told me once before Robin moved in here.He sad Ed if your gonna have a woman around.You better give her some chores....lol.So she has her animals to take care of.She does'nt like one of my prolific pets that are around here though.The dreaded wood tick and their out in numbers now too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
No dandelions yet but I'm sure it won't be long now. Cut grass first time. Just a couple days in the 70's and wow stuff greened up. Deer are happy now.
Been planting almost around the clock now for three days. Hoping to finish sugarbeets today. Suppose to start raining anytime now and then for next three days rain. Sure like to get em done so I can switch over to corn.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 12:03:19 pm »
I just was checking and the lettuce is starting to come up, gonna have to get the fence around things soon. Apple trees are in full bloom but there's storms coming and hail can do a number on the blooms.  >:(

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 04:53:15 pm »
BJ...Always a good feeling to get it in just before the rain.18 to 20 hours days for you I imagine this time of year.In the tractor.Sugar beets and corn.Can you rotate them just like soybeans and corn?
Paul....You gotta use your bow and arrow to kill those rabbits if that's what the fence is for.....lol.Our radishes are up & the rest of the garden is a done deal.Stormy weather coming here too for the next 2 days.Nothing too life changing here for us unless a tornado wants to visit or like you say a deluge of hail.Keep an eye out for that teal colored cloud bank.Bad news a coming.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 08:00:09 pm »
It's May, it's Kansas, ya get used to it after a few Springs...  ???  Lived in Oklahoma before here .  ::)
A wise man once said, "Climate is what you expect but Weather is what you get."  ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
Well finished planting sugarbeets. Ed we usually use a corn, edible bean, wheat, sugarbeet rotation. It's always good to get the sugarbeets planted and up. You can't plant them very deep and it's nice to get them in before it get hot and dry.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:09 am »
I see about planting depth of sugar beets.Makes good to have some good leveling ground equipment then.Corn is always 3 to 4 inches while soybeans here half that depth.Oats and alfalfa most times just harrowed in if broadcast.The three main crops planted here.
A few others a little but mainly those.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mounter

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:30 pm »
Been seeing a family of foxes every morning by the river when I take my daughter to school. Mamma and her three pups..  Few days ago I noticed a dead adult on the other side of the road and thought DAM.... Luckily it was a male, looked like maybe coyotes got him?  Didn't see mamma or the babies for a couple days, but mamma was sitting out there today so I'm hoping the rest are ok.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:54 pm »
Well today the best sign of Spring showed up. Found 11 nice morels, the big gray variety.  :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 07:36:41 am »
Good find Paul...The morels should be appearing around here too.I hope everyone slipped by the stormy weather that just went through the midwest.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 08:13:24 am »
Had a cool drizzling day yesterday with wind out of north east right off the big lake. Makes it cold and damp. Last night wind switched out of south and warmed up to 54 and got a nice .7" rain. The worms are out and you can smell spring in the air. I'm thinking if it stays warm our morels will probably start popping up soon. Usually around Mother's Day here.
Bjrogg