Author Topic: Stellmoor or holmegaard ring layout  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Yellowstave

Stellmoor or holmegaard ring layout
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:28 am »
Has anyone made a stellmoor or a holmegaard bow. Im talking about how the rings were laid out on the back.if so id love. To see some pics of those backs.

Offline PatM

Re: Stellmoor or holmegaard ring layout
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:38:47 am »
The Holmegaard bow had a typical outside ring back.  The Stelmoor bow was a short stick with a notch in it of which little can be discerned of how it may have once been part of a bow or even if it was a bow.

Any Stelmoor replica you see is going to be as reliable as an animal being reconstructed from a single bone fragment.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:00:48 am »
I was looking at the photo of the cross sections in TBB2 of was curious if anyone has tried those. Apparently they has functionality. Ive been thinking about making a backwards bow with this 3 inch stave of osage ive got and would like to see some final result of some other bowyers here if there are any.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:07:23 am »
Ive been want to tackle one with the rings running vertical up the back for a while but there are so many things to try.. ill get to it soon enough i suppose.thanks for any input fellers.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:38:34 pm »
   So, PatM told you the straight dope.    THAT particular section of the TBB is outdated, and archaeologists have reversed their thinking that many of those very old bows were made "backward".  It is now believed that the Holmegaard bow had an intact ring (under the bark) for the back.    Lots of discussion on this back ten years ago or so on Paleoplanet.net, with even some of the researchers and museum guys from Denmark and Germany showing up.

However, the answer to your question is "yes".  A ton of bows have been made with worked backs since the publishing of the TBB's, especially by all the guys making board bows.   A bow from a quartersawn board is a lot like the Stellmore.  Flat sawn boards work, too.  Additionally, it's a bit of a trick, but quite a few guys have decrowned narrow staves with the idea that it protected the back.  Most of us would now say that, even crowned, an intact back is safer and easier.

If you want to do it, do your best work following grain exactly to produce parallel ring lines up the back.  You can, and should, reduce strain with added length and width. 

The thing is, I could make a durable bow using 3/8" plywood, if I made it long and wide enough, and distributed the strain along the limb well.   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:04:15 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:03 pm »
Thanks for the info. Im still learning something everytime i scratch on a stave. Its great to have a place to cast questions and get great input and ideas.