Author Topic: Help needed with dimensions for laminations on reflex/deflex Bow with BOO  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Springbuck

1. also Dimensions given on Bamboo thicknesses are these measured in the edge or the middle of the bamboo as it curves higher (obviously bamboo is thicker in the Middle (so am i trying to get edge knife sharp with a eg a 1/8' in middle or leave edge 1/8" - 1/16" etc ?

2.I Just started to try and taper them -
but due to the Nodes on one side and as its a natural shape when you plain or sand them how do you get it a even Parallel or even Taper - as at looking from the side it looks like waves a bit if you know what i mean ..
do i need to put something in-between the nodes to stop dipping or is it really not that important (being a cabinet maker i like it precise )

Again Cheers Guys

Measure the thickest dimension, which is the crown.  Getting an EXACT thickness taper is pretty much impossible.  You will have thin spots, then thicker at the node.     One important starting point is to use the largest diameter bamboo you can find, from a species with less pronounced nodes.  I would try to get as much length between the nodes as possible and get as much of that space consistently thick, then just leave the nodes.  Unless you are going for just such a look. 

It all comes out in the tiller.   One idea I had, but haven't tried, was purposely using bamboo with closely spaced nodes and placing the belly nodes between the back nodes.  Lot's of lumps, but maybe average things out? 

Offline globalmark

Hi Springbuck

Thanks for that clarification - "crown" yes thats the word i needed .
Not much bamboo choice here in the UK as well as Exotic timbers for core , the Boo i am using posted a Picture on 1st page - its sold for Bow makers in 2.4m x45cm lengths 6-8mm thick so plenty to use - Nodes are as is so not much choice but looks like great stuff .

Thanks for all Help
regards Mark

Offline Springbuck

Indeed.  I kind of meant "in a perfect world",  but use what you got, right?