Author Topic: Just when you think you've got enough...  (Read 2267 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Just when you think you've got enough...
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »
you don't. I've been slicing, hauling, splitting, and stacking for weeks. I need four 18' long rows at 4' high to get us through the winter and for making maple syrup.

Shouldn't be much longer now.  :NN
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

Re: Just when you think you've got enough...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:53:58 pm »
Yep bust your butt and it all goes up in smoke >:D
. LOL Nice pile of energy :) )-w( )-w( )P(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:53:16 pm »
Cooool....By my estimation that's almost 3.375 cords of wood if your pieces are 1.5' long.If 2' long then 4.5 cords.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:57:14 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:11:56 pm »
I like my central Heat and AC.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Yep! A cord is 4'x4'x8' any way you stack it! >:D  even if is pine and aspen! Lol!  And a lot of work!  But I bet it makes the maple syrup taste better, knowing you did it yourself!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:04:22 pm »
Yup Zuma, just fuel for the fire. Kinda nuts to think how much wood goes through my hands. At least every now and then a bow comes out of it.  :BB

I usually cut to between 16-20" Ed. I figure 4 chords give or take. What I really need is a nice shelter like the one you've got.

Can't say I blame ya Mullet. I do love the smell of fresh split cherry though.  :OK

These chords are Beech, Ash, Osage, Maple and Cherry Hawk. The hotter the fire, the faster the sap turns to golden goodness!  -C-
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:00 pm »
I've recently cut 2, 14"-16" diameter red oaks and one 18" - 20" maple for next years firewood. I usually go through 5 or so cords a year. Got half of the oak split and some of the maple. I know I'll need to cut a few more trees before I'm done. Heating with wood does heat you more than once.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:59 pm »
I only heat my workshop with wood.  I just topped off a second drum of tightly packed Osage cut to 6" long pieces and split small.   One drum will last me one winter.  I've got a pile of leftover Osage from splitting staves.  Enough to get a truckload of firewood.  I'll cut it up and deliver it to an older feller who loves to heat with Osage.  I take him a load or two every spring.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:24:37 am »
I'll need to cut up and split 3 to 4 cords of firewood myself in the near future here.Mostly hickory.I usually wait till spring storms get over with and the sap flows to see if there's any dead snags standing too.I hate to cut live tress unless I want bows.I do plan on cutting at least one for that though.The bark pops off nice then too.
I'd like to make hickory syrup too but the recipes say to use regular sugar with it which to me defeats the whole purpose of good syrup.Like from those good sugar maples straight from the tree only requiring to be boiled down is all.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:27:40 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:14:12 am »
My Irish wood stove can handle 28"logs but I barely can anymore.
Bought my first ever load this year. I still like to swing the 12 lb splitter though.  )W( )-w( )-w( Zuma
BTW have you all seen the Gyco commercial?
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »
Yes...I thought it was hilarious!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:55:08 pm »
Okay, now I've gotta see that commercial.

Pat, that's a whole lot of wood. I'll be with you in spirit.

Heating with osage is the best. It puts out more BTUs per chord than any other listed firewood in North America. That's very kind of you Clint to bring that fella all that heat.  (=)

I'll bet there aren't too many stoves that can take a 28" log Zuma. It does get cold in Ireland.  (S)

I don't like to cut live trees either Ed. Melissa recently had a nightmare that I cut down all the trees on our property. I keep trying to tell her I only fell the ones that are dead or on their way out, but she still glares at me with her trademark skepticism.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:46:42 pm »
simply beautiful.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:39 pm »
Ed,
Give the hickory syrup a try!  If it doesn't make good syrup, throw in a bunch of tomato paste, molasses, maybe a dash of vinegar, garlic and make barbecue sauce!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 12:35:55 pm »
That's a lot of bowstaves, but you sure must have a heck of a short draw!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.