Author Topic: Typical Draw Weight Loss Expected From Sanding  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Typical Draw Weight Loss Expected From Sanding
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:42 pm »
Hello All,

this is the last photo I took yesterday after one more round of scraping on the bottom fade, which I did before Hoosier's advice that I not scraoe too mucb more on the fades at this point, in light of the fact that the bow was shooting smooth and accurately.  In any event, just as hoosier advised, I did lose like 2 more pounds from one single round of shaving pencil marks.  here is the final photo at 45# at 28"DL.  I wish it were closer to #50, because I am a deer and hog hunter, but here it is.

Last question for now is how much more Draw weight can I expect to lose if I sand it now to put a finish on it?  Thanks!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Typical Draw Weight Loss Expected From Sanding
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:17:13 pm »
Depends on how much sanding you need to do but it shouldn't be more than a couple pounds.  For future reference you should do your final sanding as a way to finish up the tiller
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:51 pm »
Thanks, I didn't think of that. That would have been a good approach.  I have another stave that I will start working on soon and hope to do a much better job with what i have learned this time around. Cheers!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:36 pm »
Tiller really improved from the last time  :OK
45# is not that bad for deers and hogs

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:04 pm »
Yeah 45 isnt too bad, but now i need to sand to smooth it out to put a finish on it.  That is what worries me. if I lose two more pounds, we are talking a 42# dl.  Is the piking approach really that bad?  It is a  70 incher now.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:39:09 pm »
70" is pretty darn long, piking won't hurt if everything looks good, and your tiller is even.
Eric

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:44:13 pm »
Do you just saw it off with a hand saw, or is there a better approach?  I was thinking I can make it a 68 or 66 by taking off one to two inches off each side, respectively.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:46:08 pm »
I would suggest you heat treat the belly before you pike it. I think you can probably get 3 to 5 lbs from heat treating. I had a hickory gain 8 lbs once but it was a shorter wider bow. I think she looks good. Nice bend. Good job.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:51 pm »
sanding is a matter of preference, some like that furniture grade finish, others don't mind a rough and ready look. what is important is sufficient rounding on the corners, especially of the back. too small a radius is a potential source of failure.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:45 pm »
Yeah, I just very lightly sanded it to smooth it out, but not drastically.  Down about a pound to 44lb draw. Im done kiddifying it!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:21 pm »
That bend is looking a ton better Carl. Well done!

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »
Thanks, now Im thinking about cutting the limbs two inches.  currently a 70" bow.  The bow ended up at 44lb at 28"  It is still bugging me, and I am thinking about piking to get some weight back

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
Hey, I'm glad that bow came out that well.  Great job working through and fixing up the tiller.

If you have a decent limb width, you certainly can temper the belly, and probably can pike it, too.  Be conservative.  Half inch at a time or so.......

Who says that you have to sand it?    On more primitive looking bows, lumpy staves,
.etc.  I often knock down the tool marks with 80 grit, move right to 150 grit, and call it good.

Offline Julian

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:04 pm »
I'd pike it if I were you.

not that I care too much about the final draw weight on my bows, but 70" is very long. I'd aim for 66" but be cautious and make sure you exercise the limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:31:19 am »
   In the future I like to start finishing the bow well before I hit final draw weight so all that is need is a light sanding once I hit my weight. Using a scraper to tiller will leave you a nice finish as you go that won't really drop any weight on the final sanding assuming everything else has already been finish up.