Author Topic: Making archery range/practice place?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline DC

Re: Making archery range/practice place?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
I hang a bag in the kitchen and any clean plastic bags go in. Grocery, potato chip, cereal box liners, stuff like that. One thing to note, the bears around here have come to equate the smell of plastic with food. The range had to stop using plastic bag stuffed targets cause the bears just tear them to shreds. You can imagine the mess. 100 lbs of plastic bags spread all over ;D ;D

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 02:59:08 am »
yes cardboard would be much more ecofriendly

if you google around you'll find some good reference

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 07:23:34 am »
I like that Gills. Looks like for a indoor range? I bet that works great.

I'm very fortunate to have enough room to shoot around equipment in our shop. Sometimes gets a bit crowded but can usually find a shooting lane. For a backstop I use thick cardboard and lean it against target. If someone misses arrow speed is absorded by trying to move cardboard. I don't miss much anymore most of the holes in cardboard are from arrows passing through old worn out target. You need to keep cardboard dry though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:52 am »
this is not a target of mines. just picked up on google. I like the minimal and effective concept
I have a couple of foam targets and sometimes I use a cardboard box full of cardboard pieces. good for extracting broadheads

Offline FilipT

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 01:15:00 pm »
What about using glass wool in the wooden box as an target?

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 05:00:50 pm »
I'm guessing but something tells me that glass wool would have to be awfully compressed to stop an arrow. I could easily be wrong. I have a "Bulldog" target. Great target, lifetime guarantee, but it costs $100. I had it apart to reface it and to me it looks like it's full of disposable diapers or pantie liners. Not the new kind with the water absorbing crystals, just the ones that came before them. I have no idea what disposable diapers are worth but it may be worth looking at. They must be cheap the way people treat them ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline FilipT

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 03:39:11 am »
Hahaha, a superb material!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 10:47:50 am »
All these months I put aside this little project and concentrated my attention of other things. Until today, where I stumbled upon a perfect target, which is practically 90% done. My mother brought attention to some old open cupboard (don't know specific English term for it) that is just gathering dust there. I must admit I passed by it numerous times but never thought about idea of converting it to target. Only work I must do on it is to put boards on its sides to essentially convert it to a wooden box on legs. After it I can proceed with filling it with arrow stopping material. Finishing touches will be painting and adding handles for easier carrying.

Future target

I will put bottom two halves on the sides
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:59:05 am by FilipT »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:15 am »
I have stuffed targets with cardboard, which wore out pretty quickly.  My new target is stuffed with old clothes and rags.  I think this is much better than plastic bags would be.  it is easy to pull out the arrows, and stops them better than the cardboard did.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:17 am »
What about combination of styrofoam, sponges, clothes, rags, etc.? Mix of everything, but packed together. Problem is that I have a bit of everything but not a lot of particular item.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 02:54:13 am »
Update:
I covered the sides, sanded and painted it with walnut colored protective coating. Today I will install the handles and whole thing will be ready for stuffing in arrow stopping material.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 10:16:38 am »
If you stuff it with different materials you are going to get soft and harder spots. Some places the arrows will be harder to pull out. It will still stop arrows though and that's the idea. if you keep the stuffing separate you will be able to tell which you like best and then you'll know what to collect more of. I like plastic bags. I've never tried cloth. Styrofoam can be hard to pull arrows out of.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 03:07:55 pm »
I thought of putting styrofoam on back end of the box and softer materials more towards that open part which on which I will put cloth with target.

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 06:47:46 pm »
That could work.