Author Topic: Correct or not correct misaligned top limb?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Joel Hamberg

Correct or not correct misaligned top limb?
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »
I had the opportunity of the century when I bought 7 bows off Stickbow, collection of various artists from this forum it was stated; One Eye, Mullet etc. Now I only have one precious left (lost a few in a car break in last year)
Is is a dark Osage flatbow, curved nocks and sinew under cherry bark. Initially it had some black plastic wrapping around an almost spherical handle (!!!!), that I removed. I would have liked to see the bow in its original owner/shooters hands or claws maybe..Anyway, the upper limb leans quite heavily to the left (viewed from the back) thus at the same side as the arrow passes. Ít shoots great, stiffer spine possible and no problem of string jumping out or flapping wrist. But I wonder if the twist will increase during use and finally break? maybe 1 inch at max total misalignment.
If I am to correct it, I will have to consider sinew and cherry bark being glued on back of bow. Poundage is around 50@28 and 67' long. last 3 inches are stiff and pretty rigid. And there are no backing that far out.
the pics show the twist from back and belly.
Also 2 pics of the bow at arrival, when handle is still not slauhgtered. Anyone recognize this bow? I want to thank him/her as it is one of my finest among Strunk, Welchman, Ted fry etc.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Correct or not correct misaligned top limb?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:01:17 pm »
If the string crosses the handle when braced I wouldn't worry about it. Also if it is a natural bend it shouldn't get any worse.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC