Author Topic: Poutine  (Read 6290 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Poutine
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:05:49 pm »
If you are not Quebecois, try not to beat yourself up too badly for not knowing what poutine is. First of all, the word literally means " A MESS" in French-Canadian slang.  And no better word could describe what this after-drinking-too-much binge food really is. 

You start with steak fries.  You know, the extra thick, wide cut french fries.  But you cook them extra long so they are almost starting to turn brown. You see, you need them seriously crisp for what you are about to do. 

Now plate (or bowl) the fries, dash a tiny bit of salt on them, very little.  Toss in a double handful of white cheddar cheese curds.  Here is where the argument starts: Drown in either "sauce brune" or chicken gravy.  The purists scream for sauce brune, which is a brown gravy, but not necessarily a beef gravy.  I guess I am a purist, because I have never had it made with chicken gravy.

Got it?  A heart attack, I mean. Cuz that is what this stuff leads to....heart attacks.  It's all fat and cholesterol and salt.

It starts out hot and the crispness of the fries is wonderful even as the the nuggets of cold cheese curds squeek against your teeth.  It is a textural things as much as flavour!   But you gotta scarf it down fast as the gravy softens the fries and melts the cheese.  Eventually, it devolves into "le poutine", a mess, on your plate and you toss aside the fork and take up the spoon so you don't leave behind a single morsel or drip of gravy.

The fresher the cheese curds, the better. You Wisconsinites have an edge on most of us, blast you

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Poutine
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »
Is that a warning order for Turkey Camp? -C- >:D!  I will likely bottle the "Leann Mil Omra Seilg Turcal" this weekend, so I can do a taste test before camp!  That is a warning order!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:09 am »
mmmmmmmm :OK Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:50:19 am »
Yes, poutine is delicious, powerfully fattening and likely takes years off your life. I'll still order it every chance I get. Top it with eggs for breakfast. And yes, we Wisconsinites have the squeaky cheese :)

Kyle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:59:14 am »
Eat it every time I'm in Alberta. I was surprised to see fries served with brown gravy at McDonalds.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »
Sounds great.
Wonder how it would be with a morel mushroom gravy.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:03:52 pm »
Even more(l) tasty!  I'd like to get some morels again, haven't been able to find any out here :'(!  Maybe some body will have some at MoJam.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:46 am »
JW it's a perfectly great Canadian breakfast food.. Gotta fight the cold winters off.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:25:07 pm »
Is that a warning order for Turkey Camp? -C- >:D!  I will likely bottle the "Leann Mil Omra Seilg Turcal" this weekend, so I can do a taste test before camp!  That is a warning order!
Hawkdancer

Aw heck no!  I am trying to feed you guys a healthy diet so I don't have to drag your heart-attacking butt outa the woods!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:14:14 pm »
Oh man when I played can am box lacrosse ,,,,after the games up there it was. Black label beer and poutine !! Band aids Tylenol ice ,repeate. Good times jeffw

Offline ksnow

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:18:03 am »
Just finished a plate of poutine covered in bbq brisket. I am going to be stationary for quite some time.

Kyle