Author Topic: Ring size and speed  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Yellowstave

Ring size and speed
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:17 am »
I know that it is said that the ratio between earlywood and latewood is most important. Im wondering if a tight ring chase on the back outperforms a larger ring. Or is it a crapshoot. Just curious. I have a bow im tillering now with a natural D/R with pretty wide rings. But i have another stave that has pretty tight rings. Thanks for yalls answers.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ring size and speed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:42:19 am »
I cant lie, I pay zero attention to ring thickness, early growth and late growth. A clean back on one ring is what I want. If the back is clean the bow is good under it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:59:30 am »
Thats what i do too. Thanks for comment pearl. Im just wondering  if say you had two bows that were tillered the same, same ntn length same everything. The only difference is ring size which one would perform better if at all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:29:19 am »
That is impossible to know. They can look and draw the same, but there are so many variables that we cant see or feel within the wood. I have said in the past that tight ringed wood seemed to hold its shape slightly better, but there is nothing scientific about it. Just what I felt and seen.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:49 am »
yes I think either will make a good bow,,

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:06 am »
I think we are unanimous in thinking both will make fantastic bows. I do feel that the tighter ringed stuff tends to make a snappier bow.  Maybe it's because the more laminations help keep the tension compression plane divided between two rings instead of within one ring. Maybe not.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:05:27 am »
I will save my opinion for when I finish the 2 I'm working on right now.  One has huge rings, but it was a shock to find out how hard it was to chase one.  There is not a real definite white/punky spring growth vs nice dense yellow summer growth...it;'s like a total mix through the entire ring.  ???
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:39 am »
I will save my opinion for when I finish the 2 I'm working on right now.  One has huge rings, but it was a shock to find out how hard it was to chase one.  There is not a real definite white/punky spring growth vs nice dense yellow summer growth...it;'s like a total mix through the entire ring.  ???

Bob, what state did it come from?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:59 am »
   Like Pearly I pay zero attention to ring size ratio and everything else, if there is a difference it is small. I think just like any other wood some are denser than others and might need slightly different dimensions.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:11 am »
Awesome.. i appreciate all input guys.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 11:41:25 am »
Steve, the wide ring stave came from Oklahoma...which was a surprise in itself.  :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 11:50:52 am »
Wow ive never had rings that thick.. good lookin stave there

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:09:20 pm »
That stave is crazy..wow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »
i just made a bow from wide ring,, it seemed a bit sluggish to me, I had over built the bow ,, it had a bit of telling hand shock,
but after reducing the limbs and final tiller, ,a bit of heat treating ,, it shot as good as any bow I have made,, and held a nice unbraced profile,, about one inch of reflex,, I really think its a bout the given tree,, and age of stave as much as anything, yes size of ring is part of that,, but just a small part,,

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:23 pm »
You could have chased that back with a chainsaw! Wow!