Author Topic: is there a bow in this  (Read 1363 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
is there a bow in this
« on: April 20, 2018, 12:38:02 pm »
Hi guys,
This is a 7-foot length of close-grained yew-branch, 4" diameter, narrow sap-wood, lovely dark colour and close-grained, but, there is a great big knot right at the centre - actually there is a large knot every 2 feet.  Is there a bow here?

Offline TimBo

Re: is there a bow in this
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:58 pm »
It's really tempting to photoshop a line between the two ends in the first photo, and say "right here!"  However, that would be silly, so I will let someone who has actually worked yew answer the question.  It seems like I have seen some pretty knotty yew bows though.  Bryce had one a couple of years ago, but the photos have fallen victim to PhotoBucket.   The one in the second photo doesn't look that big from here.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 12:55:04 pm »
Well, it's got to be reflexed or deflexed so if you sight down the back or belly are there any knots in the way? Said another way are there any knots on the inside or outside of the curve?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:08:11 pm »
That's the only knot I have concerns about, the rest can be designed out - I'm likely going for a D-bow

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:05:23 pm »
I can't tell where the knot is. Top pic, two inches in from the left?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:38 pm »
Top picture, just next to the highest part of the curve, almost dead centre. There is a similar knot about 8" from the right hand end but I think that will tiller out as it would end up under the nock

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:32:14 pm »
Can't see it. Are you making a deflex or reflex bow? Try and make it from the inside or outside of the bend. If you make it a little off one way or the other you end up with a sideways bend that can be a real pain to deal with.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »
It looks like the second photo is a closeup of the same knot, but I see the one you mean.  I am trying to finish up an osage D bow with a knot in almost the same location.  I ended up putting it right at the top of the grip, which is surprisingly comfy, and a good grip indicator if I don't use a handle wrap.  It shouldn't bend much there if the knot has to stay.  Could you avoid it if you made a slighter narrower and thicker handle that still worked a smidge?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:44:57 pm »
  I'm no yew expert, but I can't see why not.  If that was a plum branch that fat, I could maybe pull TWO narrow/deep staves out of it..  Lots of straightening to be done, I guess.

And if all else fails, cut out the knot and splice some billets.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:49:38 pm »
What's stopping you from making a bow with a static handle? I mean if the knot in question is dead center and the stave is 7 feet long...

Looks like there's natural deflex around that knot so if it were me I'd make a D/R bow with a static handle. Maybe even loose the sapwood and back with sinew. I bet then it would hold the profile really nicely.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:53:04 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 03:36:19 am »
There's nothing stopping me making a stiff-handle bow, but the level of straightening needed would be more straight forward with a narrow bow.  Equally, as this is branch-wood and contains tension wood I can't split out two narrow laths side by side as I need to use the centre to keep things stable.  I had pulled it out of the pile to cut up for other projects, but I can't quite bring myself to do that and if you guys think there's a bow in there then I'l rough it down to a stave and see what happens.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:14 am »
Frankly, I'd pass. Too much work.
It's not the knot. Too much straightening.
Is that a reflex situation or a sidewise bend?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 07:47:05 am »
  This is one of those cases where you have to look long and hard to see what kind of bow you can get. It looks like a deflexed stave, so maybe a reflex reflex bow. Kind of a high crown so you might consider a bend through the handle. Yew is not critical about chasing rings so you might consider flattening the back and leaving it wider around the knots. I think knots are best drilled out and left open and just letting the wood swirl around it like it does naturally.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 10:12:53 am »
There's got to be a bow in there. It may take a little to chase it out but branch wood makes nice bows. If you can find a route through the knots a little steam(maybe a lot of steam)and time and a bow will emerge. I'm sorry I couldn't see the knots and be more help. Working a stave like that will teach you lots. I like staves like that cause it slows me down and the pile of finished bows doesn't get so big.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 11:26:01 am »
The stave is deflexed  and is a little snakey with sideways bend as well, it also has about 90 degrees of twist
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:56:07 pm by stuckinthemud »