Author Topic: Hickory stains/finishes  (Read 1367 times)

Offline shackleton

Hickory stains/finishes
« on: April 21, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »
 I may  be mistaken but I believe I read that many stains/finishes do not take well to hickory.If so which ones do well?
Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Hickory stains/finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:56:20 pm »
I think that aniline dyes may work the best.  It also helps to NOT sand the living be-jeepers out of the wood first. The finer the sanding you do, the less it takes up stain. Go to 120 grit, and be extremely careful to sand with long, straight strokes that follow the grain. Every time you reverse course with your sanding stroke can cause a little "swirl" that shows up in the finish. I like to use a foam rubber sanding pad and finish by sanding each limb from mid handle all the way down and off the tip in one continuous stroke. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 03:12:02 pm »
One of my favorite for hickory is hand rubbed oil with fine charcoal dust added. It is vert subtle but it eliminates the bright white and enhances the grain. After it dries for a while you can add your favorite finish over it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shackleton

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:14:18 pm »
One of my favorite for hickory is hand rubbed oil with fine charcoal dust added. It is vert subtle but it eliminates the bright white and enhances the grain. After it dries for a while you can add your favorite finish over it.

I like that idea.
Thanks,
 Scott

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
I have used Rit Dye dissolved in denatured alcohol applied with a clean cloth. Then fisnished with spar urethane spry. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
  I use Solarlux dye, leather dyes, or aniline dyes on all stubborn woods.  I have verl little luck with standard stains getting the depth I want if I'm going dark.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:49:36 pm »
Ive used water bases dyes from W.D. Lockwood on hickory and they work great, and too many choices of color it makes it hard to choose. I like hickory dyed, but not stained. Only for personal preference, not because its a bad finish. Definitely do not over sand like Jdub said. Some finishes will pool on the surface and have to be rubbed in if sanded to much.
Here's a limb from a recent hickory bow I made that is finished with a mix of three colors from W.D. Lockwood dyes. They are fun to mess around with.

Eric