Author Topic: Liverwurst  (Read 8568 times)

Offline archeryrob

Liverwurst
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:51 pm »
I try and use every piece of the animal I can when harvesting them. I've never been very good with using the liver and the heart, but I got that figured out now. I copied German Liverwurst.

1 deer heart and liver, this one equaled 3.45#
2 pounds ground venison
2 # pig fat

Here is is all copped up to be ground.

Here they are stuff ready to be boiled.

The finished Product.

If you want the entire story and recipe you can find that here with all my ramblings.
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/german-liverwurst/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Liverwurst
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:55:52 pm »
YES!  This gives me the courage to try making liverwurst for myself.  I have either left the liver behind, or turned it into dog treats because I simply cannot bear the taste, smell, or texture of fried liver.  I think it is the ONLY food in the world I consistently turn down! 

Thanks for contributing to my efforts to fully utilize every animal every time!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:41 pm »
I hope you enjoy it. I had two slices on a hamburger roll with mustard and a cheddar cheese slice for lunch.

Par-freezing it key to making this or the fat will get runny.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:15:13 pm »
Absolutely!  Par freezing makes a world of difference when grinding.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:26:44 pm »
My dad loved liver and liver wurst. I refused to eat it as a kid but I was a pretty picky eater then. Might have to give it a try. Never know till you try it (again). Might be like that commercial Maybe I'm turning into my dad. Anybody know how to take a picture with this thing.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:41:44 am »
Yeah, I could never bring myself to eat liver, now if you put in dinuguan or sausage, that’s a different story ;D

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:02:33 pm »
My son wants me to make liverwurst.. I can't stand the stuff.. Normally the stuff my ex used to buy was emulsified rather than just ground.. Did the recipe call for this or just the way you did it?
By the way I'm in the fried liver camp.. Big bowl, garlic smashed taters, fried onions, sautéed liver and a unhealthy amount of brown gravy... Yes man.. I'm hungry..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 06:28:42 am »
I threw it in the bucket and hit it with my industrail grade drill and special meat mixer attachment and ripped it up. Be tween the fat and the liver ground it emulsifies on its own pretty easily.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 08:33:55 am »
I never found a way I really liked cooked liver until one day I saw a recipe for Liverwurst, my family always called it Bruanschweiger. I edited the recipe from pig livers to match venison livers for size and have made it three years now.
This year I found You can freeze the meat too much before grinding and I had a hard time getting it emulsified properly. I never got it perfect, but it got close and I learned a valuable lesson for making it in the years forward.

Texture was good, but should have been better, but it still eats good.

Recipe on my blog and Youtube video on the process at the bottom.

Long video on making it, so it you got a short attention span, just skip through it.
https://youtu.be/wAhKKNedUDs

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:00:46 am »
Liver sausage is also available in coarse cuts.
My uncle was a house butcher and he filled the liver sausage in natural sausage skin or cooked it in cans or jars for storage.

Liver sausage in natural casing can also be smoked.

The spices used are important for the right taste.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:07 am »
I'm Not supposed to eat iron heavy foods like liver, but fix the liver with wild rice, mushrooms, a wine sauce, and more mushrooms, and bake it into a casserole!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:53 pm »
Love store bought liverwurst and calves liver. Can't stand venison liver.  My grand kids are on the weird side as they fight over the cooked venison liver but then again they think picking wild leeks and eating them is like having a snickers bar, lol.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 01:26:58 am »
Little Fiddle woman is on the keto diet, so I have to figure out how the hell to switch the wild rice out!
Maybe an almond flour pasta!  I do think wild liver is great, just don't over cook it! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry