Author Topic: Redundant Osage Query  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Redundant Osage Query
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:29:21 am »
Hello guys,

So I have managed to get to my intended growth ring finally, after
Some confusion. I have an osage stave that has cery thin sapwood. The result being.that I dony have that clear road map between rings. As such, I have taken to the tedious task of giving chase with a scraper, thereby approaching ever so carefully.

One of the biggest problems that I find with the thin sapwood rings is that it doesnt give to the drawknife as gracefully as oyhers have advertised online. I see myself spending a long time carefully revealing the desired ring throughout the rest of the stave.

This is that reddish hue type tight ringed osage that I have heard others mention in older posts.

Any suggestions?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Redundant Osage Query
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:43:34 am »
How thin of rings you taking about?
Some osage does have thinner sapwood thickness.Just the way it is.If you've got the depth in your stave for a stiff handled bow I would'nt worry about it.
Maybe a picture to show what you mean.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:17:30 am »
Are you confusing sapwood with early/spring wood? It sounds like you may have the terms mixed up.

If indeed you're talking about a thin spring growth over the summer wood? Yes, just take your time with a scraper, use a delicate touch, and eventually you'll reach the other end. Make it easy to keep track... don't jump around, don't leave islands in low spots or around knots, or let one side get ahead of the other. If it gets to ya, walk away for a few hours or come back the next day.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:22:14 am »
BowEd, thanks for your reply, I will post a photo when I get  back home.  Im in the office today.  I just feel that I will have to shave it down to that one ring the rest of the way down the stave, because my draw knife isnt easily liftfing or glding through that sapwood like others have suggested.  It is soo thin and unestablished, if I may, that it is like stuck tight onto the heartwood I am after.  It is a barely noticeable white thin fuzz over the much thicker heartwood ring, that only seems to move with light scrapes over the heartwood itself.  I dont want to dig into the heartwood, which almost seems inevitable if  I take a draw knife to it.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:26:00 am »
Dances With Squirrels, yes sir,  That is how I am approaching it now, with the scraper and light scrapes to just reveal the rest of the heartwood ring I have arrived intentionally.  It took me a couple of Gin and Tonics to peacefully walk away from it yesterday and call it a day. Very labor intensive  it is.