Author Topic: Cauls  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Soggydog

Cauls
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:47:51 pm »
Out of curiosity, how do y'all go about making you're cauls for bending limbs? I've got a couple of bows that are about ready to get some bends in them, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make cauls that's cheaper than purchasing a new board for every uniquely reflexed bow. On the other hand, has anyone figured out an adjustable caul that can be used for a variety of bends?

Additionally, does a limb need to be fully supported by the caul, or can you get away with just a few contact points?

My apologies if any of these are obvious questions, but I'm fairly new to this and couldn't find any information in the volume of TBB I have access to! 

Offline Nasr

Re: Cauls
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:59:58 pm »
 well i basically glued some scrap plywood until i reached a good thickness about 2inches and used a tin can or bucket to get the radius of bend that i am looking for. Cut it out with a band saw and sanded it down cut some holes that i can put my clamps in and thats it :). its really simple stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »
I made one following Gary Davis instructions on his DVD.   I made another one the same way with a bit more reflex.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:31:51 pm »
I made two cauls. I use one for tips that is 34" long and has a reflex the same as the second one that is 44" long and center lines up with center of handle.

I first do tips on short one. Then put center of bow and center of caul lined up and straightening, heat treat and put reflex in both limbs.

This way I can do all kinds of different length bows with these two cauls.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »
The front one is for tips and back one is for straightening, heat treating and put reflex in both limbs with handle in middle.
Bjrogg
PS I'm interested what others have to.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:40:56 am »
I have an original Gary Davis caul and also built a copy of one used at MoJam.  The new one is adjustable and can be used to make any length and varied styles.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:43:59 am »
Clay Hayes has a good video on youtube. Building a recurve bow form. He takes you through the process using plywood. There are a few different bends incorporated into one form.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:22 am »
Looks like a interesting bend there Bob.
Just curious. I've never did a whole bow at once. Do you steam whole bow? Or do you just start with heat gun and work and clamp as you go?

Right now using the forms I do. I steam tips and part of outters. Then I switch forms and start at handle and heat gun out both limbs clamping as I go.
Bjrogg

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:18:04 am »
I have done both full length steam and heat gun.  At MoJam there have been LOTS of bows made using the same design and all were done with a heat gun.  I just pulled one off of the form a couple of weeks ago and then sinewed the back... it will be interesting to see how it turns out... I may end up taking a couple of inches off each end.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:35:41 am »
Thanks Bob for the info.
I like the FFA sign and the foothold to.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:48 am »
I have an original Gary Davis caul and also built a copy of one used at MoJam.  The new one is adjustable and can be used to make any length and varied styles.

Is it true Patrick "designed" that one. He parades around claiming so :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:10:56 am »
Yes he did...and he has made some really nice bows with his.   :OK  Patrick is one of the "kids" that have  taken over the task of teaching bow making at MoJam so that us old guys can spend our time just visiting and working on our own stuff.  The new guys are doing a great job.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:25 am »
Patrick is that same guy at our Marshall gathering. He seeks out folks' that need help and sticks with them to the end. He is a good man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 09:35:20 am »
Patrick is that same guy at our Marshall gathering. He seeks out folks' that need help and sticks with them to the end. He is a good man.

:OK

Pauly is purdy good about that too. But don't tell him I said so.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 10:03:09 am »
For sure on both of them
I know this young man sure appreciated Patrick's help.
Bjrogg