Author Topic: BRAZILLIAN CHERRY ( JATOBA ) BOW DIMENSIONS  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Nasr

BRAZILLIAN CHERRY ( JATOBA ) BOW DIMENSIONS
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:07:22 am »
 Hello everyone i was working on a bow when i discovered i had a Jatoba board that i had forgotten about tucked away in my wood stash and i remembered when i first bought it being put off by certain things i hear about it being prone to fretting. However i believe i am up for the challenge and i was wondering if anyone has had experience with this wood and if so what design is best for this bow. I was thinking of backing it with white oak and trying to get a flat bow of maybe 64-66 inches pulling 50 pounds at 28 inches. I am not set on a flat bow so if the design doesnt fit i can even go for a longbow. The Board is about 6 ft tall and 2 in wide and maybe 2 inches thick so if this works i can rip it down and maybe get two bows out of it. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP AND I WANT TO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE  :) :) :)

Offline Julian

Re: BRAZILLIAN CHERRY ( JATOBA ) BOW DIMENSIONS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:29:42 am »
I can't imagine you needing more than 1" of thickness. I don't know anything about laminated bows though. White oak is a good backing, if jatoba i (-Ps prone to fretting then you might want to go for a slightly trapezoid section.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:44:31 am »
What does the grain look like? A picture could help. From the numbers I see here, http://www.wood-database.com/jatoba/ ,it seems pretty balanced. If the grain iffy, I’d back it with either white oak or hard maple. Maybe slightly trap it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:29:25 am »
Never seen a flat bow from it. Only long, slender ELB styled bows. I would look at 68-70" ntn and about 1 1/16" wide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hunter255

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:31:30 am »
I used JATOBA before with Bamboo backing. JATOBA frets easily, Make sure your tiller is right on

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:11 am »
Hmmm does anyone think a deflection reflex will help with the fretting ?? Maybe reflex it back to even. I might try bot a flat bow and a longbow. I think maybe a deflection reflex might help with the frets by reducing the stress. These will all be backed with white oak.

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:03:16 am »
Hmmm does anyone think a deflection reflex will help with the fretting ?? Maybe reflex it back to even. I might try bot a flat bow and a longbow. I think maybe a deflection reflex might help with the frets by reducing the stress. These will all be backed with white oak.

what about a deflex-reflex american longbow?

Offline Nasr

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:10:56 am »

what about a deflex-reflex american longbow?

I am at this pint open to anything I actually might have enough to do three bows. It's about two inches thick so I can robably ri down three slats. Tablesaw blade would take 1/8 " material for each cut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:15:51 am »
The least stressed bow you can make is what I suggested. Anytime you add reflex you add strain.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:29:47 am »
  I have probably made at least a dozen backed jatoba bows. Most of them had at least some fretting. I would go at least 1 3/8 wide and get the whole limb bending. The wood is heavy so keep the outer limbs narrow ands stiff for maybe 8" or so. It is a really fast wood and I think with careful tillering you can avoid fretting. Start looking for the frets early on in the tillering process. white oak should work well for a backing.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:30 am »
I have made one, it was 72" ntn, 65lbs @ 26, it WAS 1-3/8" at the fades and tapered to 7/16" nocks. It shot great for many years. one day, I decided to try and get it to 29", why? I don't know, I can't shoot 29", maybe  just because, I put it on the tiller board, pulled it back, BOOM. A perfect normal break. The wood seems brittle, and splitters like like many exotics. Just a guess, but my bow would probably have been better at 50-55lbs with those dimensions. I would suggest going wide. Wide for how dense it is anyway.
Eric