Author Topic: please educate me on poke weed.  (Read 5434 times)

Offline KHalverson

please educate me on poke weed.
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:13:01 pm »
I have heard that its great eating when its young ,
and also that its poisonous at its adult stage.
so what are the best recipes and when is do you call it quits cause its too far along to be safe to eat?

Offline Morgan

Re: please educate me on poke weed.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39:45 pm »
Boil it till it don’t kill ya. Mom would boil it, strain the water and add new 2 more times.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:19:38 am »
From what I remember, primitive tim should have some insight on this. He has a video

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:38 am »
I enjoy Poke most every spring.  Cut the green tops off of young plants (about 6-10”), making sure not to use any of the older red-colored part.  I pull the leaves off, which strips off some of the fibrous skin in the process. Pitch the threads and keep the leaves. Put the stalks and leaves in a pot of cold water, bring it to a boil, change the water and repeat. Drain, add salt, lemon and butter.  It tastes like mild asparagus.  Delicious!
...Tom

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:48:52 am »
Here in the south we go through normal boil and discard the water a couple of times then saute the greens in a pan with chopped onion to boil off most of the water. When you have them cooked down add an egg and blend everything together. Of course you will need to salt and pepper them as you saute them. The taste almost like spinach, you can cook spinach the same way and the dish tastes like poke salat.