Author Topic: Rock id please  (Read 2071 times)

Offline sleek

Rock id please
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »
Found in north eastern oklahoma by the Verdigris river. Its loaded with small fossils, seems to flake ok with force but hard to control.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bowmo

Re: Rock id please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:37:26 am »
No clue but if it flakes trying giving some a heat treat. Even rocks as gritty as that can really gloss up.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:21 am »
No clue but if it flakes trying giving some a heat treat. Even rocks as gritty as that can really gloss up.

I was wondering that very thing bowmo. I need to start cooking more stuff. I find knapable grainy stuff here. Had a couple trees blow down behind my house. Might have to cook some questionable pieces.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:20:26 pm »
Keotuck (sp) may be possible. ??? ???
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:41:56 am »
Looks like limestone,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:03:05 pm »
With lots of fossils, it is likely limestone or sandstone.  Hard to tell from the pics, but most limestone is grey to white.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:32:19 pm »
Ok, its grey, and certainly not sandstone. I didnt think limestone would flake?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:34 am »
Sleek most of the artifact points my cousin finds around here are from a very old limestone quarry. There are layers of knapable stone and chert. Some is even pretty slick but most is a bit grainy. I find what you have there in my fields and I do believe if it could be cooked to improve it it might be worth a try. Lots of it has freeze cracking though. I think it more dalmite or something like that but I'm certainly no rock expert. I have picked a lot of rocks over the last fifty years though.lol. I'll see if I can post some old pictures of local stuff points I started out making.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:23 am »
The lighter color ones are what I think you have but a higher quality. I find what I would call nodguals of it that are from very grainy to pretty slick. Unfortunately the slick ones are almost always broken up and freeze cracked.
The darker ones are from chert balls. They are like opening a. Dry hard to open box of chocolates. You never know what's inside. Could be slick, could be mixed half concrete.
Bjrogg