Author Topic: another point  (Read 5354 times)

Offline paulc

Re: another point
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12:11 am »
I have wasted a lot of rock Ryan :-)  I have gone through probably $150 worth of purchased stone over the last 6 months and have perhaps 6 legit preforms to show for it.  All the rest of my purchased stone has been reduced to debitage (however you spell that).  Which makes great general purpose arrowheads but not the artwork we often see on here. 

So break a lot of stone which I am sure you've heard.  I don't work anything to completion (in one sitting) lately.  I pick for perhaps 10 or 20 min on a piece and then set it aside and pick at another piece.  Otherwise I get impatient and careless and rush and blow up the piece.  And lately I've been able to work on stone at least three nights a week after work.  Might only be for 30 min but I take the time to sit outside and pick a bit before going inside.  Plus on the weekend while the wife is sleeping in.  I got serious about grinding platforms-I don't take more than 4 or 5 flakes before grinding again-depending on circumstances.  I have a grinding wheel that I have laying on my table-I hold my piece against that and grind either the whole edge(at the beginning) or just part if I am getting close to finishing a point(2 or 3 flakes only).  And if I find I don't really care if a flake goes well I stop working on that piece. 

If there is anyway you can get together with someone who knows more than you I highly recommend it.  Neither Stephen or Eddie shared any earth shattering insight into knapping but the time spent watching someone who knows what they are doing and being able to ask questions before and after a flake in real time is REALLY helpful.  And they were both simply good company :-) 

And I have a long way to go-I can make a serviceable hunting point I guess but zip beyond that...Paul

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 07:32:21 am »
Hmm... Getting help here in the Philippines is difficult. I do know that the natives here used obsidian, dacite, and jasper. Only problem is no one decided to continue flintknapping after the stone age. The last time I’ve met the natives was when I was too young to ask... Oh well, guess I’ll get back to breaking some low quality rock ;D

Offline paulc

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 07:49:45 am »
Philippines would be tough...treat yourself to some obsidian if you can swing the shipping charges.  Or get some glass from the dump. 

Another thought-I had to get over making something awesome right out of the gates...Patience and "zen" (at risk of being flaky-pun intended)...it is very much a in the moment kind of thing like so much of life.  gotta be present with the flake you are trying to pop right then...preacher out

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
That last one on the right is really looking good, Paul.  I can see you pushing a flake centerline and the straight lines of your edges as well as length is improved.  You are building up a lot of steam quickly...good for you buddy!
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »
What Steve said, and you should have grabbed more rock when you were here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 07:28:34 am »
Summers are brutal with work so little time to knap but camp is over and I can finally come up to breath!  I did manage to pick out a couple of points...time to resume shooting and get some of these on an arrow to see if I dare chase hogs with'em.  The real thin one is the result of a lucky flake break...Paulc

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »
I was wondering about you the other day.  Glad to see you are getting some time back.  Looking good Paul.
1’—>1’

Offline paulc

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 06:52:41 am »
I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks for a long weekend with the wife.  Maybe you and I can get together one morning while she sleeps in and break some rock?  Meet Mullet somewhere?  P