Author Topic: Pileated and a Birch Tree  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Pileated and a Birch Tree
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 11:50:05 am »
We've got plenty of them all the way down here in the Everglades.  Just heard one the other day pecking away on gutters.  That makes a racket.
1’—>1’

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:28:24 pm »
Woody Woodpecker flies just like a Pileated. If you can get the sun directly behind the head of one the crest looks like a neon bulb. I have filmed them often around the streams and river. They usually nest over the river in a hole in a sycamore. 30 years ago they were very scarce like the birds of prey. Today we have plenty.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 10:40:52 pm »
I did read somewhere the Ivory-billed is often mistaken for a plieated.  Not sure where I saw that, but correct me if I'm wrong.  I thought the pileated had more crest than the IB.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
Can't correct you Dancer but I think the Ivory Bill is extinct.
Some say there may be one or two left in LA swamps.
Not sure myself. Similar birds The Ivory being bigger.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 07:51:14 pm »
I sold some land with pecan trees on it in East Texas a few years ago, and something strange happened a year or so later. Girdling cuts appeared on several of the trees. These cuts did not go all the way around the trees, but the fact that some trees had multiple cuts in random places made the damage big. The cuts as best I can remember were about 3" wide, very even as if done by a machine and went through the bark and into the wood to a total depth of about 1-1.25" as best I can remember. Does anyone know of pileated woodpeckers doing that kind of damage? The woodpeckers had been hanging around there for a few years, but I had never seen them pecking my trees. The man who bought the place said he had not seen any wood chips near the tree trunks. I suspected that a person did it with some tool that I am not familiar with. In my opinion, the cuts were too clean and even to be the work of animals. Some of the cuts were ten or twelve feet above the ground and on the main trunk and the limbs. There were beavers in the area, but a lot of these cuts were well up into the trees. Any suggestions or ideas?

WA

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:18 am »
Porcupine?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:25 am »
I'm not familiar with the work of porcupines, and I never saw one there in over 30 years of living in the same place.

WA

Offline Stoker

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:17 am »
Porcupines eat the bark and usually climb the tree well off the ground
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 11:24:17 am »
Here's woody
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.