Author Topic: Effects of light angle on flake scars in photos  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Effects of light angle on flake scars in photos
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:57:55 am »
I finished this point this morning, and it looks pretty good, but in photos there is a big difference in quality of flaking when seen from different light. This is my first piece to pressure flake on a soft leather pad, and it taught me a lot about the differences between using a soft pad and using a slotted pad (my usual).

The first photo is the way it looks when held in the hand. In that photo the light was coming from the right, and the lens contour shows up well. The last two photos got light from the top. They show off the flake scars in an exaggerated (rough) way and make it look like the point is very flat and thin. It is about 4" long.

A very big thanks to Jim Hopper, aka Fogman, for the stone. He is on Arrowheadology.

WA

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:31:04 pm by Chippintuff »

Offline bowmo

Re: Effects of light angle on flake scars in photos
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »
it can take me quite a while to find the right angle of light to get the scars to pop but always worth it.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »
Great tip and who would’ve thunk a pineapple would make sure a good background?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:44:36 pm »
Nice work, and a near tip on lighting!  What kind of rock is that?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:15:25 am »
Thanks for the compliments. Fogman (aka Jim Hopper) sent that to me. He posts on Arrowheadology. He calls that stone Indian Paint, and he says he has the only source of it, in the Pacific Northwest. It is as good as or better than any other knapping stone I have ever used.

WA