Author Topic: Precarves, just a heads up, now for the fix  (Read 9784 times)

Online Eric Krewson

Re: Precarves, just a heads up, now for the fix
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 07:25:30 am »
With such a mess of a patched inlet, putting the lock in by conventional methods just won't work.

Here is the way one typically inlets the lock internals, one piece at a time.

In this case I have a real mess to start with, my patch and the old factory inletting which is in the wrong place.

I am going to have to inlet the whole assembled lock at one time. I started with a drilled sear hole (in the wrong place at first) and the start of the mainspring inlet and went down from there. Black with soot and check, remove nay black marks where things are rubbing.

I actually got it done in a couple of hours, I will clean up the rough looking stuff today.

The lock functions properly, I sure am glad the lock plate covers up this sloppy inlet.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 08:18:15 am »
Dino, you can make a try stock to get the measurements for a gun that will fit you perfectly.

You adjust the try stock until you can close your eyes, shoulder the stock, open your eyes and be looking at perfectly aligned sights, kinda' like magic. Transfer the measurements to your stock blank and you have a truly custom rifle that will fit you like a glove.

If the measurements are there you can't beat a Kibler kit, anybody with some woodworking skills can build these rifles, 10 to 12 hours opposed to 10 to 12 months for a scratch build for us newbie builders. To build one of these rifle you do have to have patience and work slow, like you are doing the final tiller on a bow with sandpaper.

Here is my Kibler southern mountain rifle in .32 cal. Their southern mountain rifles go up to .45 cal, their Lancaster kits go up to .58 cal.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:25:59 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 10:21:06 am »
Eric, you read my mind!  I was wondering how I (or a builder) would figure out "custom" measurements...great idea with the try stock!  The new (new to me) production rifle I bought recently for $200 is a Traditions Pennsylvania...my cheek is still sore from getting hit after each shot...the dimensions on this gun definitely don't suit me.

Your Kibler looks pretty sleek!

I have not yet started to look into making a flintlock but plan to start my research soon…can you recommend a couple basic reference books that might be helpful?

Thanks!
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 03:23:20 pm »
The Gunsmith of Grenville County is where a bunch of us started. Lots of info like the TBB series for bows. I found it useful for my first gun but never looked at it again after I finished the first.

I bought the five video series for the above book but the old version was so hacked up and poorly edited I didn't find them to be much use. They have since redone the book and video series.

I would watch a bunch of the rifle building video series on youtube as well. Duelist has two or three up that show the process.

If you plan to build a non kit gun I would definitely send off your stock blank and barrel off to have the barrel inletted and the ramrod hole drilled. I had 4 done this way.

I have always used full sized plans for a build. I draw a pattern from them altering the basic plans to have the right drop and length of pull for me.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:28:16 pm by Eric Krewson »

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 04:48:40 pm »
I went out to clean up the inlet and found the lock was hard to cock, I blackened and checked and blackened and checked, I found some impingement places and made the mainspring inlet a little deeper.

Next I noticed the pan wasn't anyway near flat on the barrel, duh, than it hit me I hadn't relieved the wood for the travel of the cock.

I prefer a slant to a notch, removed the wood, the lock is as slick as glass now.

I know I am a wood hack and only make these posts to let the other wood hacks out there know they can actually build a rifle if they choose to attempt it. I do end up with some nice looking guns (if you don't look to closely).

Offline chamookman

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 02:06:44 am »
Very nice Eric - Thanks for sharing  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.