Author Topic: Pad Usage  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Pad Usage
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »
Hey guys, how do I pressure flake using a pad without a slot, it seems my flakes won’t travel right, do I flake between my fingers?

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Pad Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:41:33 pm »
https://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/flintknapping-beginners-f11/#.VmzG5DaMDBI

There is a wealth of information on this forum. Let us know how you do with it. It is not easy to learn, but you can do it.

The travel of the flake depends mostly on the direction of the force applied to the platform. Push hard against the platform in the direction you want the flake to go, and then add a little "sideways" pressure to start the flake to shearing off. It takes a strong wrist. Also let us know what kind of pressure flaker you are using.

WA

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:15:25 pm »
I’m currently practicing with an ishi stick

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:11:08 am »
I only use pads with a slot or made of thick but flexible leather I can curl a bit to create a gap for the flake to detach into.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:46 am »
Tuck that Ishi stick between your arm and your side. There are two ways to apply the power to pop the flake off. You can put your hands between your thighs and squeeze your legs together, or you can brace your holding hand against your thigh. Place the Ishi tip on the platform. Lean your shoulder power on the Ishi stick till the flake pops. There are a lot of fine details that have to be right for either of these methods to work. Try it and come back with more questions.

WA

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:35:05 pm »
I suggest being careful with flakes anywhere near the fingers. I have a scar, cut tendon sheath, and had a couple stitches in my pinky to make me think twice about where every flake is going now. I also use one of those pads with a wood backing and thick foam and a slot. ER bill was a lot more than buying one to start with. Also use thicker leather over my leg. Just saying hahaha
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 01:40:47 am »
Tracker
I may know a thing or two about finger injuries, got my finger broken when it got stuck in a door. I just used popsicle sticks. Thankfully it worked out fine-ish. I’m using 9 layers of towel which I’m sure is enough.