Author Topic: Is Bow X1-3 a Mollegabet  (Read 7065 times)

Offline meanewood

Is Bow X1-3 a Mollegabet
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:07:34 am »
I was doing a bit of browsing on the bow main page today and looked into the Mollegabet design.

It occur ed to me that the transition from working (bending) limb to lever is quite similar to the drastic width reduction seen on the 'Mary Rose' bow X1-3!

The main difference being, the X1-3 depth taper reduces in at a typical longbow rate.

I don't think the maker of that bow was intending to create non bending levers but was keen to dispense with as much unnecessary weight in the outer limbs as possible.

I've made a couple of X1-3 type bows but have yet to fully replicate that drastic profile but may try with my next Elm build.

Offline FilipT

Re: Is Bow X1-3 a Mollegabet
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:54:02 am »
What kind of bow is that and why do you think it is a molle if it has bend through whole length?

Offline meanewood

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:06:28 pm »
Bow X1-3 is an Elm (longbow) from the Tudor Period.

It's no surprise that an Elm Warbow would be shorter than the Yew bows being made at the time but obviously one example of an Elm bow is not proof that it's characteristics were uniform.

The drastic narrowing of X1-3's width could have even been done by the owner in an effort to whip tiller the bow, rather than the work of the bowyer himself!

My feeling is X1-3 was a personal bow of a crew member that had been modified to use from the lower gun deck, shooting through the gun ports. Due to the lack of headroom a 80inch yew bow of high poundage would be very difficult to use !

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
I looked at pictures and that profile taper looks very weird haha. Too drastic.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:13:30 am »
Bow X1-3 is an Elm (longbow) from the Tudor Period.

It's no surprise that an Elm Warbow would be shorter than the Yew bows being made at the time but obviously one example of an Elm bow is not proof that it's characteristics were uniform.

The drastic narrowing of X1-3's width could have even been done by the owner in an effort to whip tiller the bow, rather than the work of the bowyer himself!

My feeling is X1-3 was a personal bow of a crew member that had been modified to use from the lower gun deck, shooting through the gun ports. Due to the lack of headroom a 80inch yew bow of high poundage would be very difficult to use !
Why is it not surpise that an elm bow is shorter than yew bow? I dont't get it.

X1-3 bow sure is interesting. Weren't the replicas that were made quite overstressed and eventually chrysalled/broken? Common theory is that the bow found (X1-3) had its tips cut off, for some reason.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 02:29:20 am »
If I had to make a short but heavy draw weight bow, I'd choose Elm and make it wide 40-43mm, a high crowned back sapling with a flat belly. Pretty much like X1-3 really!

I'm of the opinion that one tip of X1-3 is the original (the one with the flat facet on the back).
I've seen the bow and the tip has the same patina as the rest of the bow.
The other tip however, has different patina on the end and sure looks like it was cut at a later date.

The flat facet works fine as a nocking method with a bowyers knot or running loop.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:52:48 am »
Oh, it would sure be nice to some day inspect these bows! You lucky englishmen...

Have you made any of these X1-3 style bows?
I'm actually surprised they held together, since 30" draw out of 66" bow is quite a lot at 100+ pounds. Maybe with heat treating those bows wouldn't even have developed chrysals...
High crowned back actually effectively does the same thing as heat treating. In my one elm bow i had high crown back, pin knots and heat treating - i think you guess what was the outcome.
Some people heat treat all of their bows and it sure is effective with elm if the material is knot free, but many cases this is not true. I've broken couple of warbows with heat treating when they were already ready.

Anyway, my elm bows have been 72" and i'm planning to do some 75-77" bows, under 70" is just too short to be safe. Maybe if i chose the deflex side of the stave, but.... that's not my habit of making bows! ;D

Offline meanewood

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 06:27:55 pm »
I'm English, but live in Australia.

Over the past 2 years I have visited the Mary Rose Museum twice and it really is the most wonderful experience!

I went to the Royal Armouries (Leeds) to see the bow X1-3. It's not on display at the moment but if you call ahead of visiting they may show it to you.

Where I live in Adelaide, there is an abundance of Elm, so I have been able to try all sorts of things with it and have made many X1-3 style bows.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 12:12:50 pm »
Sounds good! I still have the mary rose museum trip to be made. Too bad the X1-3 bow isn't in the same mary rose museum. Though i noticed royal armories is quite interesting display on its own... Thanks for the tip, quite surprising you can see these items just by asking.

It would be interesting to see these elm bows, so if it's not too much of a hassle, post some of those bows here please! I also have some of warbows i could show here, now that they are not exploding on my face anymore. (lol) Just need to get a someone to photograph draw pictures.

Offline Strelets

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:56:32 pm »
Meanewood, so Dutch elm disease never got to Australia? Elm was almost completely wiped out of Southern England about forty years ago.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 01:49:40 am »
I've come across quite a few Elms that show signs of disease but not sure if it's the same as Dutch Elm disease!