Author Topic: Deer rawhide process  (Read 8322 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Deer rawhide process
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:10:30 am »
Well it's been pleasant enough weather here to get this doe shot last winter made into some usable rawhide.First when skinning deer it's best to pull the hide off as much as possible to avoid and knife slits which can turn into holes.In ideal conditions this process can be done from sunrise to sunset fairly easily.Even brained and rope dry too.Anyway I'll let the sequenced pictures show the process while commenting here first and along the way about things that make this process easier.
Using nylon string such as parachute cord or the like is easier.It does'nt knot up so quickly and knots can come out easier by hand.Cutting lengths of around 25' work the best and fastest since time is of the essence while lacing it in.Depending on the weather I usually do this in the shade to prevent premature drying.Centering the hide first.Using a sharp knife cut holes around 4" apart from each other as much as an inch in from the edge all the way around the hide.Then lacing in fairly loosely first centered then retightened later to be fleshed with the scraper.While fleshing it can be tightened more also.Leaving a little extra amount of flesh on hide while skinning will make fleshing easier.Membrane and all come off.
After fleshing this paticular doe hide was dry enough to dehair the next day.The thinner or younger or smaller the hide the sooner it will dry.After dehairing it can be cut out to be cut to any number of projects desired.This doe hide will be used for bows and a drum I made.
The stretching frame made from osage saplngs.

Tools used....Elk or Siouw name for animal the [wapati or waterhorse] antler fleshing tool or the Siouw name for it the wahyenta[not sure of spelling]and a pocket knife.

Center hide in frame.

Begin lacing in at the top or neck.

Centered nicely for maximum stretch.You want a big enough frame to get maximum stretch on your hide.

Retightened with a good stretch on it.

Beginning of fleshing.

At this stage the hide can become looser in frame because of the prodding and scraping while fleshing.Retightening it helps for further clean fleshing to be done and puts a very good stretch on your rawhide also.

All finished fleshing.

Left to dry before dehairing.

Dehairing taking epidermis off along with the hair.It'll come off in 1/4" wide strips depending on width of scraper.Too wide of scraper to speed things up will not work very well though.Let the sharpness of the scraper do the work.There's a learning curve doing this task.Adjusting for enough pressure to dehair but not puncture.Especially in flank areas which can be sanded lightly if too thin also to remove epidermis and hair.Be aware of old scars.Dehair with the grain on those not sideways as it can catch and puncture a hole also.This might seem like a lot to look out for but with practice it becomes second nature and no problem.This makes for very thin useful rawhide for bow backings.

I like to begin at the top and go with the grain dehairing.If the leather is dry in the neck area it is dry everywhere else.It can be dehaired other directions if needed like sideways etc.

Finished hide here.It's a different hide but end product is the same.I just forgot to take a pic of the current one finished.This hide as is can be used for rawhide or be brain tanned[that's another subject though].

I like to give both sides of rawhide a good sanding with at least 80 grit.Used to do this by hand.I have an orbital sander now which makes it a bit faster.I prefer 60 grit while laced in the frame.A tip here...A person can set the framed hide so the sun shines though it.A person can see then absolutely for sure that all of the epidermis is removed,if you are going to brain tan it.

Hide cut out easily with a pocket knife.There is always a little waste yet[nothing to worry about] but much of that can be used for hide glue also.

Hide ready to be stored or used for whatever your project might be.

Finished raw hide on current hide ended up being around 11 square feet.About normal for a white tail doe from around here.It will keep indefinitely as is.I usually give it a light spray of bug killer to keep the bugs away and it works.
This other paticular hide I brain tanned and smoked.

The other hide I cut up into 2" wide 3' long strips for bow backings and 2 big circular pieces for a drum.Any scrap pieces of rawhide or sinew scraps I keep for sinew and hide glue.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:34:50 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Deer rawhide process
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:38:52 am »
Nice demo, Ed!  What is your scraper made of?  I use a "road kill" cutter blade I found about 30 years ago.  It must be high grade steel.  Holds an edge very well!  Made the handle out of walnut, long enough to use 2 hands. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15:24 am »
I finesse using 2 hands with the right amount of pressure for thickness of the hide with this scraper.It's an elk antler handle that was longer but cut it shorter because it was getting in the way while dehairing.The blade is from a cracked disk blade glued and rawhide wrapped to the antler off my disk that I heated with my acetalene torch and immersed in oil to harden it more yet.
I have a couple wooden handled scrapers that work fine too.My flesher blade is a bit wider[to flesh more quickly] than my dehairing blade but still sharp enough to scrape slivers of wet rawhide from the neck to reduce thickness there.I have 1 more elk antler scraper/dehairing blade narrower yet for fine work in very thin areas of raw hide like the flanks.The dehairing blades are mill bastard files.All the scrapers have only 1 bevel.I made them all back in 1980.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:24:49 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:09:12 pm »
Very cool Ed 8) Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post this.
One question--- Would an awl or a leather hole punch be better than a knife slit?
Thanks, Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:47:00 am »
It does'nt make any difference as far as strength goes whether you punch a hole or make a slit with a knife.I normally just use a short paring knife.A person could go so far as using large needle type tool with the rope attached too but would not be any more efficient but would take more time than needed.Pulling the length of lace through a hole too tight takes too much time really so slits 1/2" wide work the best.Holes around 4" apart in numbers is where the strength to stretch comes from around an inch in from the edge.Punching a hole with an awl makes it more difficult feeding the rope through the hole also taking time,and time is of the essence when getting it fleshed before it begins to dry too much to stretch properly.A person gets a feel for how much pressure to apply while lacing it in stretching it.You can put more pressure around the neck area and less around the flank areas of course and while fleshing it gets stretched even more.Retightening it a couple of times while fleshing really puts the stretch on the raw hide.That's why it's important to have a big enough frame and the hide centered well to get the most stretch on the hide as possible.
A side note here....Everyone wants really thin rawhide for bow backings.Which is the best I think too.When a person removes the epidermis layer on the hair side it does this making it almost like clarified calf skin when applied to a bows' back.Using young does and yearlings is best for these bow backings.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:47:10 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:19 am »
Very cool Ed.  Are those furniture tacks on the top of your scraper?  What is that used for?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:04 pm »
Mostly decoration Aaron.The cone shaped ones on top of scraper have been used for a meat tenderizer though.
A little info many don't realize......When making scrapers from elk antlers using the 2nd tine up from the rosette is the best.It's a 90 degree perfect angle.Here's pics of 2 made from 2nd tine on the left for fleshing and dehairing.The 3rd or farthest to the right is made from the 1st tine up from rosette and my fine tune ultra sharp scraper for work on very thin rawhide hair and epidermis removal.I also scrimshawed my name on the rosette of that one.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:48:25 pm »
I thought that might be the case Ed, but didn't know if they were functional.  I don't see any photos
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:10:46 am by Aaron H »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 04:03:16 pm »
I can see the pics from here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:01 pm »
Oh, nevermind.  There they are.  Very nice

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:30:18 pm »
In the end it just pays to have good hide working tools to make things easier.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:19:51 am »
One book in the past that I have I've referred to many times is a large book called Mystic Warriors of the Plains for ideas on what to make from rawhide and brain tan leather.A rather expensive book but very informative about native american plains indian methods of living.
If no elk antler is available wooden handled ones are very useful too.This is just a pine closet rod used.With a little decoration of tacks/rawhide etc.I still used a mill bastard file for a blade though.Another handle that's ready for a blade.It's made out of osage.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:21:44 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 12:20:13 pm »
Thanks for posting this Ed. I always enjoy watching someone else work hides. It's certainly requires less calories.lol seriously though I really enjoy your hide care posts. You do very nice work and explain things very effectively.
One quick question about brains. Can they be kept in freezer? I kept brains and hide from my first primitive harvested buck and their still in freezer. Somewhere I read that brains couldn't e frozen.
Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 04:44:47 pm »
BJ...yes that's one good effective way of preserving them before usage.I've read where the brains can be dried also in a more primitive setting and rehydrated for future use.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:53:03 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »
Thanks Ed. I might have to start saving more of them. I suppose I should use the one I've got, but I could see using them if I saved them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise