Author Topic: Deer rawhide process  (Read 8293 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Deer rawhide process
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 09:06:36 pm »
In theory and I believe it's true it really does'nt matter what animal the brains come from for brain tanning.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »
This is a really good thread. Even after doing a few....Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mounter

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 11:39:40 pm »
One book in the past that I have I've referred to many times is a large book called Mystic Warriors of the Plains.A rather expensive book but very informative about native american plains indian methods of living.
If no elk antler is available wooden handled ones are very useful too.This is just a pine closet rod used.With a little decoration of tacks/rawhide etc.I still used a mill bastard file for a blade though.

I have that book... haven’t looked at it in years. I know what I’m doing Sunday evening  tho. THAnks!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 05:48:45 am »
In theory and I believe it's true it really does'nt matter what animal the brains come from for brain tanning.

That's what I was thinking Ed. I remember one of your previous threads that you bought brains at Piggly wiggly if I remember correctly. I have a lot of friends that save sinew, turkey tails and wings. Also antlers and bones. Maybe a few might save me some brains. Lord knows I could use em.lol. Seriously though if I could tan fox, coyote, mink, muskrats and deer with deer brains and get the same results you do with your brain tanned deer hides I'd be very happy. Do you think that would work or do you see a problem with my logic. I would be interested in a tan along on a fur barer using brain.
Thanks again for doing these threads
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline helmet

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 11:30:57 am »
Excellent post, thank you Ed.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 11:38:56 pm »
It's not everybodies cup of tea that's for sure but can be as satisfying I think in completeing as making a bow or arrows.I look at it as just 1 foot through a door into other things that can be made from it.There are some very talented leather made projects out there along with beading and quilling talent that is worth looking at for inspiration.
Hides can be brain tanned fur on too after fleshing.They can be roped dry just like hair off hides.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:56:21 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed