Author Topic: First try at wood arrow shafts  (Read 4570 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First try at wood arrow shafts
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:49 pm »
I got these shafts from Balsatech in the supply trade this year.  He said they were Shurewood Shafts.  I wanted to make some for the Marshall shoot next week.  I shot them bare shaft and kept trimming them down until I found a length that had them flying straight.  I tried mixing up some grey dye but it ended up turning the shafts a nice brown color.  I figured I would try my hand at cresting.  I don't think I had the right kind of paint.  It didn't cover very well.  I had to put it on thick.  I spliced the fletching, also a first.  It turned out OK.  Overall I think they turned out decent.  I can make some improvements on the next set.  I hope I don't lose any of them in the skunk cabbage swamps at Marshall.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

Re: First try at wood arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:45:09 am »
Kewl  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:36:23 am »
Very nice arrows. That dark fletching will blend in well with the skunk cabbage.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:55:56 am »
 8) nice looking arras buddy.   They'll do fine at Marshall. Really like the splicing good job.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:13:10 am »
Nice job, sir. They'll soon be flying through that cool MI air.

Did ya bareshaft test each of the 6 shafts?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline helmet

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:22:35 am »
Nice job on those  :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:02:40 am »
They look great from here Clint. Shouldn't be a problem finding them if you hit the target.lol. Man I'm really out of practice. I haven't been shooting at all lately and what little I did previously was with so many different bows anywhere from 10 lbs to 57. Pretty sure I'll be losing a few.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:47 am »
Nice Clintster.  I bareshafted several arrows last year for the Marshall shoot, every one of them are still up there in Michigan somewhere.  Lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:19 am »
Thanks guys. 

Knoll, I did bare shaft test each arrow.  They were spined the same and all cut to the same length.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:40 pm »
Knoll, I did bare shaft test each arrow.  They were spined the same and all cut to the same length.

With my last batch, which were in 5 lb spine range, I bareshaft tested one that was in near middle of spine range. Then cut others to same length. Saved lotta time. And they seem to fly ok . . . well, as good as can be expected given the shooter.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 12:34:59 pm »
Would you tell us the spine, weight and tip weight, please :)?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »
I didn't check the spine.  I think they were around 45-50 lbs.  The field points are 125 grains.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 02:19:29 pm »
Knoll, I tested and cut one arrow until I found the right length.     Once I had that figured out I cut the rest of the arrows that length and shot each one several times to make sure it was good.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:33 pm »
Nice looking arrows.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:40:11 pm »
It's that first one that takes the longest.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise