Author Topic: Arrow pass  (Read 2709 times)

Offline DC

Arrow pass
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:04:18 am »
Do leather arrow passes quiet the arrow? Is it better to have the shiny or suede side out?

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Arrow pass
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:07 am »
Yep they sure do I have always used the shinny side out, I have had good luck using thin leather and put it between to heavy blocks of wood and squeeze the crap out of it in the vice and leave it like that for about 1/2 hour it thins it out good !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:54:18 am »
Yep, sure does. I use deer leather, shiny side. I skive all the edges so it rounds it some, and tapers to almost nothing where it meets the wood.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:32:05 pm »
I like moleskin padding.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:02:36 pm »
I use the soft side of Velcro most often, but leather works great to. Its essential for a hunting bow. It has to be dead silent with zero noise coming off the draw. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:07:44 pm »
Right after I posted this I remembered that you use Velcro so I stuck a piece on. A lot easier than messing with contact cement. I'll see how that goes and then maybe try leather.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 01:12:19 pm »
I use a beard trimmer to shave the Velcro right down tight. It keeps the shaft about 1/16" closer to center.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »
Have been using toothpick size pc of wood under leather on SHELF to assure single point of contact with arrow.
Clay Hayes suggested doing same with pass. Gonna give that a go with next one . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 03:29:17 am »
I have been doing a lot of experimenting with arrow shelfs lately and been building up the shelf so the arrow passes right at the deepest part of the handle and it really improved arrow flight , the tooth pick idea is a great idea knoll !

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 06:25:56 am »
Have been using toothpick size pc of wood under leather on SHELF to assure single point of contact with arrow.
Clay Hayes suggested doing same with pass. Gonna give that a go with next one . . . .
I've been doing that on the shelf and pass for years.  But I use a small piece of hard leather.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 07:04:32 am »
   Guy's, I have been hunting for 30+ years and have found the "hair on hide" is the quietest for me...No clickity clack from an arrow shaft on an adrenaline charged draw...You can pull slow or fast silently with hair on...I place the grain of the hair to accommodate arrow fletching passage also...
                        1st picture is Whitetail belly...

2nd picture is Seal skin...

As a hunter, this is so very important and glad this subject was brought up...
                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:12 am »
I tried the Velcro and the fletching seemed to hang up on it. I haven't shaved it yet, could that be the problem? I just had little squares of Velcro, maybe I put it too far forward? I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it yet. I was shooting when I noticed the sticking so I just peeled it off and stuck it to the back of the bow. It's still there :D

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »
I’ve done several with tanned rabbit with the fur on. Kind of cool and quietest of everything I’ve tried. Rabbit skin is very thin.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:18:47 am »
This topic is good timming for me I have been spending most of spring shooting and tunning arrow shelfs/pass ,I had a problem that was driving me nuts tell I figured it out I had perfectly bare shaft spined arrows that where still flirting a little coming off , I dont use self knocks so I rotated the cock feather more towards the 7 oclock position and it eleminated my problem the arrows came off like darts , kinda of a pain with hot glue knocks but well worth the effort , DC if your getting snags on the velcro give it a shot ! Plus the arrows come off quieter now !

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:13 pm »
I cut my arrow pass plenty deep and put Velcro on the pass and the rest.  ;D
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!