Author Topic: Maybe I shouldn't post this  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Maybe I shouldn't post this
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
...yet-
Last time I posted an early-stage project, I ruined it before I got to floor tillering.

Oh well. That happened because I wasn't focused, not because I shared it. I see a real benefit to being able to share, in that hopefully you guys who know what you're doing might offer thoughts to help me do a better job.

I'd like to thank PA for poviding such a wonderful resource, and thanks to all members for the sense of community.

https://youtu.be/43STk03TUpY

Offline DC

Re: Maybe I shouldn't post this
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:51 pm »
Are those billets that you are going to splice together?

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:30:50 pm »
No, each one to be a separate bow

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:59:11 pm »
They looked very short, must be camera angle or something. :)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:03:03 pm »
45" & 38.5" ntn

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »
 (A) that is very very short. What draw length are you shooting for?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:36 pm »
Something as simple as a V-Splice, you’ll have a full length bow
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:50:30 pm »
LOL Bryce, steering me down the rabbit hole!

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:41 pm »
Can't I just make a couple Ishi bows with sinew? Pretty sure the dimensions are within reason

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:13:05 pm »
Well, as I get older I get better at taking advice. Suppose I consider changing the plan, splice them...is it too late? I've already cut them for separate bows

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:52 pm »
If the ends are at least 3/4” wide you can still splice. You can splice down to 1/2” but we won’t go there. If you want I can walk you through a simple V Splice that will get you a nice longbow to start shooting.
Up to you.
I used to have a sinew-a_ling but photo bucket ruined that
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:30 pm »
I'd love to do that, but maybe with some other wood I have. For these two pieces I've been daydreaming about the way I'm doing it for some time now. I chose the lengths on purpose, from what I've been able to learn about primitive use of juniper for bows in the Western US. They generally went around a meter, some shorter some longer, right?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 08:07:21 pm »
Okay well I will do up the how-to anyways:) probably tomorrow.
The only thing about making short bows is draw.
Yes their bows where short, Bc their draw style was different. Not like our English and Mediterranean style. That we commonly use. The arrows actually shoot from the center of the bow and handle.
So if your gonna make a bow as short as theirs. I would advise shooting the same way.
BUT! if your natural shooting draw is 22-25” (nor.cal. Estimated draw length) then by all mean go all out.
If not it’s okay to make the same style bow in a longer length, and an off-set handle; for handle and bow balance.
Pre-Columbian N. American bows along the edge of the plains; most the bows that have been found range from 53”-75”
Before the arrival of the horse when the natives could actually start to colonize and have a nomadic life across the prairie. Which was basically uninhabitable UNLESS you could follow the natural resources like the bison and antelope.
Anyways I’ll get off this rant.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 11:35:43 pm »
I've been voraciously consuming vids about Ishi-type bows, I understand these bows are made to shoot sideways with palms up, I figured on learning the technique. I get that this makes for a shorter draw. I'd love to learn more about the bows they used in Southeastern Oregon, if you have any suggestions where to look.

I'm going on another juniper run soon, I'll look for a nice long one or a couple to splice. Come to think, I might get two good limbs from what juniper I have on hand. I've also got my eye on a dogwood that looks like a good candidate, maybe I'll do one green. I'm still looking for serviceberry. My yew & ocean spray will start being ready in January.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:50 am »
While there is one video of a guy shooting his bow in that style,it is not known,if this was commonplace.No reason for you, not to learn it though,if thats what you want to do..The Bows in southeastern Oregon,were predominately Paiute, and Modoc..There seems to be various styles employed by the Paiute and ive seen evidence,of the Modoc,using a style,different than the style that is commonly attributed to them in recent years..My belief,is that many bows,that were documented as being from a particular nation,may have been taken in war,, acquired in games or trade items..