Author Topic: Band saw for roughing out ipe board  (Read 6911 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

Band saw for roughing out ipe board
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:54:00 pm »
Hi all. Finally got my hands on some ipe and I don't want to dull my sad assortment of hand tools much further. I'm looking at band saws on Kijiji and wondering if a 2.5 amp 9" one will be strong enough for cutting through 1 1/2" thick dark ipe. And is it going to completely ruin the blade?

Don't have much experience with band saws or ipe (its so heavy and hard though holy cow).

Thanks!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Band saw for roughing out ipe board
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:52 pm »
It will work if you go very slow and not force the cuts. If you are planning to make more bows a 14", 1hp saw or better would be your best bet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
Thanks, that's kind of what I was expecting. Should be better with less thick white woods though, right? Don't live where I can cut down trees anymore so board bows is all I'll be able to do

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:28 am »
It can be done with a new blade, but it won't be fun. 
I have a 9" bandsaw, but rather use my tablesaw since it's more powerful and gives truer cuts.  I only use the bandsaw for roughing out the width profile on backings and after glue ups.  If you can afford a bigger one get a bigger one.  You won't regret it.

Ipe isn't as bad as you would think on blades.  Don't get me wrong, it will wear a blade quicker than pine, but it's not as bad as other exotics I have tried.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:28:37 am »
You mentioned your sad hand tools. Rather than waste money on a cheap, nearly useless bandsaw, spend that same money on quality hand tools.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:31 am »
I think I may just save up for a bit and get a bigger/band saw, maybe not. I have access to a table saw (but it's a pain) and my hand tools are working well enough for tillering and what not. Thanks for the input everyone

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:49:40 am »
You mentioned your sad hand tools. Rather than waste money on a cheap, nearly useless bandsaw, spend that same money on quality hand tools.

Tool maintenance is of utmost importance. Even cheap tools can be made to work okay if time is spent tweaking them.

And, buy the best tool you can afford. Save those pennies. Buy quality. When it comes to band saws, you'll never wish for a smaller one.

Kyle

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:29 pm »
I think I may just save up for a bit and get a bigger/band saw, maybe not. I have access to a table saw (but it's a pain) and my hand tools are working well enough for tillering and what not. Thanks for the input everyone

Watch Craigs list. Buy used and do NOT buy asian. Buy an old Delta or even Craftsman if it's old enough. Don't buy any saw that has ANY plastic parts and it should not have much aluminum or pot metal either.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 10:13:52 pm »
  Jim, I just rebuilt one like that old Craftsman you had in the top pic. I gave it away but it worked great.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:45 am »
I dont think you would get what you want out of a cheap 9 in. band saw I would save my money and get minimum 14 in. , cheap small band saws are a pain to tune and dont stay, ones tunned , even on a 14 in. try to get the highest HP you can get the smaller band saws rely on HP vs wheel inertia of the larger ones , the larger the  wheel the more easy they are to tune and stay put I can resaw with mine over and over and it wont go out of tune tell I change the blade !
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:19:52 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:19:18 am »
Thanks Jim. Why not any Asian brands? I have developed quite a bit of respect for Japanese manufacturers (of many things, but not power tools, yet). Maybe they weren't any good until more recently?

I think I'm gonna save and get at least a 12"

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:41 am »
And I just remembered I don't have that much space and will probably be moving within the year to a place with less space. Uh oh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:11:20 am »
My 14" Grizzly was made in Asia. Great saw. I've roughed out hundreds of bows and never replaced or repaired a dang thing but blades.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:48 pm »

+1
I use a 14” jet cuts like butter.

Whatever you use, in all seriousness, use a dust mask. I cannot stress that enough.
Effs me up everytime I don’t. Which was about twice. That’s all it took.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:32 pm »
Dust mask, are the simple cheap ones good enough or should I get something more serious? Don't want to mess up my nose or lungs